Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 Front, to reinforce or not?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 30 Front, to reinforce or not?

I know its been up many times. But the issue is still there.

So here is rough setup for next 1-2 years.

JK(2dr) -2012
2.5" lift kit (springs / shocks )
Wheel spacers: spidertrax
Wheels: Stock Saharf 245/70/17 (maybe later 265/70/17 - but not till i destroy the saharas ones)

Terrain: Sand / Wadi (moderate rocks)

---

Option 1 - reinforce, sleeves + C's (fine with budget) but if i smash something my agency will blame the reiforcement...
As well i heard and it is actually logic, that by adding sleeves, the weakest point of axle will be the R&P housing part... so possible to crack insted of bend.

What do you think on this?

Option 2 - C's + Sleeves + truss = aprox 1000-1500 USD! (not in budget + do i really need this)

Option 3 - Keep it stock... untill guaranty ends... (100k odo... about 80k more to go)

Yes, confusing... what do you think?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

for the size tires you are wanting to run, i would just leave well enough alone. c gussets at most but really, there's no need to throw any money into your dana 30.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't plan on upgrading to a 44 then the cost to c gusset and sleeve the axle is very cheap insurance. You shouldn't have much prob with that tire size but like I said its cheap insurance. The axle shaft will still be the weak point. If u are running stock gears you don't need to worry about the ring and pinion. They are bigger and stronger gears then like 4.88's in the Dana 30 which are smaller and weaker. I would and have done it. If u are going to keep the Dana 30 I think it is a must. I have seen several people bend a c and axle housing with stock tires on a paved road by hitting a curb so....
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies.
Well once and if i touch the thing, my dealer will void the warranty on all parts around front axle (and yes i know they are ... "agents" ) ...

What i was thinking... if by the time my warranty ends i destroy the axle housing, i could get a pay from insurance to change it, and than invest a bit into making it more strong?

If i go do the labor with agency tp geep it under warranty, that is going to be lots of $$$ ...

Is stock Dana30 really so shitty part of JK...?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SergeL
Thanks for the replies.
Well once and if i touch the thing, my dealer will void the warranty on all parts around front axle (and yes i know they are ... "agents" ) ...

What i was thinking... if by the time my warranty ends i destroy the axle housing, i could get a pay from insurance to change it, and than invest a bit into making it more strong?

If i go do the labor with agency tp geep it under warranty, that is going to be lots of $$$ ...

Is stock Dana30 really so shitty part of JK...?
Don't count on your dealer covering ANYTHING once you lift and change the wheels. Unless you keep everything stock, they will weasel out of it.

Here's a good read on the D30. Not necessary to replace if you don't plan to wheel HARD and put larger wheels on.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...44-35s-222930/

I should hopefully have a Rubi D44 on its way early next week to replace mine. I plan on going up to 35's and wheeling pretty hard though. I was looking at adding a locker up front. The locker estimates installed came out to about $1200. I'm getting the D44 for $1500 (parts only) and it comes with the stock e locker.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 Front, to reinforce or not?