Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 Durability?

Old 10-11-2016, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
As long as you don't beat on it stupidly you'll be fine.

I've run 35s, 36s, and 37s on a stock D 30 with zero problem, and this includes 4 Moab trips. My avatar is my old 08 sitting on 36" Iroks on The Escalator.

As long as you drive smart you'll be good to go but you also need to realize it's not designed to handle that stress and won't hold up over time. Start saving for either a replacement or work on strengthening yours up.
^^^THIS^^^

I have wheeled with CJ7nvrstk a couple of times and he does not take the easy line and goes where the big boys go.

R/
Will
Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old '97 has over 160K miles on it's D30/4.56/35s. I never upgrade axle joints and use them as a fuse to protect the R&P. I've only broken one joint over the years and never an R&P. Keep in mind that going down an obstacle is generally much harder on your D30 than going up... depending on your driving style.

Start spinning your wheels and all bets are off!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If you drive like a dumbass you will likely break something, pick good lines, follow your spotter if you have one, know your limits and you should be fine.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by iron53man
Don't meant to hi-jack your thread, but I saw you're from KC. Are you hitting up that Halloween themed event at Kansas Rocks?
Yeah! It's my first off-road trip, I guess I'm nervous...
Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggreenjku
Man, I'm jealous. I didn't get signed up in time and now I got other stuff to do. Hit up the Thursday jeep meet-up at Austins Bar in Olathe. I haven't been to one yet, hopefully going to make it this week.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, the absolute best first offroading experience is to go where there are tons of people celebrating the sport like this Kansas Rocks event will likely be. You'll have an awesome time and probably won't break anything if you're careful. But the good thing is that if you do, I guarantee there's a bunch of people there that will help get you out of a jam, so don't be worried too much and just have a good time. =)

Edit: Also, remember to listen to the guys that have lots of experience, they will understand the lines better and you will learn how to judge the lines yourself. It's not rocket science, but there is definitely an art to it.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor

I'm running 35s on my stock dana 30. How careful should I be when I go off roading this weekend?
Pretty much what everyone else said. Take it easy in terms of attack. Drive at your own pace (stay within your comfort zone) When spotters come, use 1 person you trust. Many times there will be lots of input, focus on one person to guide you through the tougher sections.
The Dana 30 is strong enough for medium tires and non-aggressive driving. A challenge doesn't equal carnage. Don't let the nervousness equate to gas pedal and you will be fine. You will be hooked and your wish list will grow/change after actually off-roading.
Good Luck, keep the right side up and keep wheelin'.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Off Pavement
My old '97 has over 160K miles on it's D30/4.56/35s. I never upgrade axle joints and use them as a fuse to protect the R&P. I've only broken one joint over the years and never an R&P. Keep in mind that going down an obstacle is generally much harder on your D30 than going up... depending on your driving style.

Start spinning your wheels and all bets are off!
I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Is there a danger associated with spinning the wheels?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor

I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Is there a danger associated with spinning the wheels?
Spinning equals no traction. So that isn't good. 2 issues, First is debatable by some. Spinning is not good for the environment. The Tread Lightly group preaches this. Second, as long as you are spinning there isn't much problem. Once you catch traction with all that force of the spinning wheel/tire axle shaft etc. Many times it will break something.
Spinning happens, but again if you are spinning tires then you are not going anywhere.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you sons a bitches jinxed me... that's the 2nd set of 4.88s to go along with 2 sets of 3.73s lmao.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1913274025.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	658862  

Quick Reply: Dana 30 Durability?