Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 Beefing

Old 10-22-2019, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

But I also heard there is like a kind where you just like twist a knob on your diff that locks up the axle?
OX. Your can choose which type of activation method to use (air/electric/cable), and they sell a key or something to enable/disable the locker directly at the axle in cases where the selectable activation method fails.

To add another option to your research, do some reading on the Detroit Truetrac. It's a limited, not a full locker, but it's half the price and works really really well. With tires in the air, the JK's BLD (or a little brake pressure) adds enough resistance to get traction back. Not better than a full locker for the hard-core crowd, but a great option for most people. And on the plus side, they are working full-time, even on the snow and ice that you might see a few days a year. (Full lockers, you likely won't want engaged for normal driving on those surfaces, right? TT's are a benefit there)

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd agree that air isn't a bad thing. I believe Ox makes the locker with the manual connect at the axle.

In regards to the rest- it's plenty capable. Like Resharp said- put the money where it needs to be and go from there. The sleeves make you feel better but recently someone had a break with a sleeve installed. It's not going to be bulletproof any way that you try to build it......nor will it be cheap (going to 37's).

I asked about lift because while you can do 35's and 37's on 2.5" of lift, things get more expensive at 3.5" and up. A good quality kit will be upgradeable as you move along. Please avoid the Rubicon Express or similarly "value priced" kits. There's a reason you pay a little more for a few more brackets and such. 3.5" also seems to be where you're getting into driveshaft territory.....another $400.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 Beefing