Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dakota M/T's

Old 10-18-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota M/T's

Stopped in at my local Pepboys and inquired about the Dakota M/T's. The biggest size they make for a 16" rim is a 285/75. They gave me a print out on the cost to get 5 of them mounted and balanced with the Road Hazard Warranty (which you have to get to get the 4 for 3 deal). $887.25 for all 5, but then I get a $141 mail in rebate for the free one, so in reality it would be 746.25 for all 5. Seemed pretty good to me. I realize they aren't gonna be the best tire in the world, but for what they are, and with a 40,000mile warranty, I think its hard to beat. Anyone have experience with these? I figure these should hold me over till I can afford to step up to 35's and regear, but still allow me to wheel it in the meantime. Hard to do right now with my stock 29's
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The deal sounds really good. Looks like a pretty good tire to me.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had a set on my s10 blazer. they are good for the price but i would not buy again unless i was a on real tight budget. actually even on a budget i would probably run my old tires longer till i could save for better ones. my set wore quickly and unevenly further shortening the life of the tire. i think i got about 15,000 mi on them. they did fine on dirt and light mu trails but the tread didnt clear that well. never had them on rocks so cant comment on that. however i do see a lot of people in my town running them. just my personal experience. good luck choosing a tire. i always spend months trying to decide on a tire. i just bought a set of trxus m/ts and i hate them. its the first time all me research really let me down.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

i forgot to mention, if i was looking for a good set of inexpensive m/t's i would look at the summit mud dawg. i had a set on my yj and i have tosay it was the best tire i have even had for the price. I had 35x12.50's payed 650 for 4 tires mounted and balanced.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by motorhead0320
i had a set on my s10 blazer. they are good for the price ...

i think i got about 15,000 mi on them.

If they really have a 40,000 miles warranty, then that sounds like a warranty claim to me.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Man I know times are hard and money's tight, but save alittle more pennies and get a descent tire. I was in the same boat you are now and I thought that a cheap tire would get me by until I was ready to spend the money to get what I wanted, but then I thought why don't I just spend the little extra and buy what I want now rather then payin for it twice and couldn't be happier. Remember you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just try to buy used? If you're thinking you just want something to hold you over. I'm sure there's a bunch of used mud tires in PA... I would check out the For Sale thread here or Craigslist if I were you.

just my .2
Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

they wouldnt warranty them because they said it was a balance alignment issue. even though they balanced, aligned and rotated them multiple times. in the end they said its a mud tire and it was my fault. i went out and bought a set of mtr's and couldnt have been happier. a little expensive but the best tire i have ever had. at least for a daily driver.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lc619fr
Man I know times are hard and money's tight, but save alittle more pennies and get a descent tire. I was in the same boat you are now and I thought that a cheap tire would get me by until I was ready to spend the money to get what I wanted, but then I thought why don't I just spend the little extra and buy what I want now rather then payin for it twice and couldn't be happier. Remember you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Because ultimately, I wanna put 35's on my jeep, but I can't afford to do them and regear for them too right now. If I go with the 33's, I shouldnt' have to regear, and I can alteast wheel the thing right now, instead of being limited to the real easy stuff with my stock 29's. I'm hoping santa will bring me a teraflex 2.5" spring lift and shocks for christmas, so that should get me up in the air for the 35's when the time comes I might look out for something used though. And I think I'm gonna pick up a set of 1.5" wheel spacers as well. Yeah, I know you can pick up some Soft 8's for just as much, but call me crazy, I like the look of the stock steel wheels with some big tires on them.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Dakota Definity MT's in 285x75-r16 on stock wheels with spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers and I love the whole setup. They are very quiet on the road for their size, they look mean, and they do exceptionally well off-road. I have run Kumho Venture MT's, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, and these and I would say all three stack up evenly. I have absolutely no complaints about them and would recommend them to anyone.

Side note: I bought mine over a year ago and never got my rebate check. Partially because I never followed up and nagged them to death about it, but I would recommend staying on top of your rebate status if you go with them.

Also you can see pics of my Jeep with them on in my project-jk gallery.

Last edited by vgullotta; 10-20-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Dakota M/T's