Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daily Driver tire ..Duratrac or G2

Old 05-29-2015, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver tire ..Duratrac or G2

Currently i have 285.65.18 Trail Grapplers 70lbs ea. (E-rated obviously) ....

Im in the market for a more of a suitable all season daily driver tire , here are my options what im looking at ::: Duratracs 295.65.18 (E-rated 58lbs ea.) or Nitto G2 285.65.18 (E-rated 53lbs ea.) .... Trying to keep an aggresive look , but ride is a big factor since im 99% on road. With both choices being E-rated still , a ride improvement should be better being an A/T instead of a M/T???
Old 05-29-2015, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Duratracs on my Jeep now that are E rated. I absolutely love my tires and they are extremely quiet on the highway. I'm not so sure M/Ts would be the same way.

Knowing what I know now.. I might have looked at a lighter tire, simply because I commute 50 miles a day and the mpg decrease wasn't worth it.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LKWJeeper
I have Duratracs on my Jeep now that are E rated. I absolutely love my tires and they are extremely quiet on the highway. I'm not so sure M/Ts would be the same way.

Knowing what I know now.. I might have looked at a lighter tire, simply because I commute 50 miles a day and the mpg decrease wasn't worth it.
Yea these M/Ts Trail Grapps are a little too heavy and rough for me as a daily driver.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Would going from a 70lb. M/T .. to a 58lb Duratrac make that big a difference in ride quality?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rynz
Would going from a 70lb. M/T .. to a 58lb Duratrac make that big a difference in ride quality?
Depends on how much air is in the tires and also the strength of the sidewall. I'd assume a lighter tire would handle better for a DD but that's an opinion not based on fact.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Move to a 16" or 17" wheel with a C rated tire and it will soften the ride if you are looking for a better ride. More sidewall will cushion the ride more and the rubber will be less money.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

I had 18" Terra Grapplers before getting Trail Grapps , and those rode awesome , but switched cause the Trail grapps look great and Terras looked like balloons....So hopefully 295/65/18 Duratracs are the best of both worlds... will see

Quick Reply: Daily Driver tire ..Duratrac or G2