Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D60 rear and D44 front...... or?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
We're now selling the PR44/60 Hybrid. This has a 35 sp ARB in a PR 44 housing with all 60 wheel ends and 35 sp outer axle shafts. It's less expensive than a full 60 front and we're very happy with the proven strength of the JK HP44 front gear set. It's a bit lighter and has better ground clearance too.

Keep in mind that a 60 front (or 44/60 combo) is 3" wider than a stock 44 (or 30) front. You'll also need to change to a wheel with a 5 on 5.5" lug pattern.
That sounds like a sweet set up. Can these be done in an 8 x 6.5" lug pattern as well?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac

It's impossible to say. You'll see guys that can make a 37" work on a D30 and others that break with stock tires. The weight of the rig, rig drive train, your driving style and how/where you wheel all play a part. That said, we just don't see R&P failures of the JK HP front 44. With tires larger than 37", unit bearings become a concern as well as axle shafts. With my PERSONAL driving style I'd run 40's on a lightish JKU with our 44/60 (with our std shafts) and feel pretty comfy. Will it all survive for you? No one can say. If they try to tell you yes, they're clueless. Everyone is different.
Good info, here my ? Iam plan on getting the PR44 housing only for my rubi i already have chrom moly shafts on it but are only 30 spline whats da biggest tire u recommend, i run 37's now but would like to run 40's in d future, am i wasting my money buying just d housing? P.S my driving style is moderate and not aggresive at all. Haha thks
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
That sounds like a sweet set up. Can these be done in an 8 x 6.5" lug pattern as well?
Yes, we can do an 8 lug 44/60 Hybrid.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JKU-81
Good info, here my ? Iam plan on getting the PR44 housing only for my rubi i already have chrom moly shafts on it but are only 30 spline whats da biggest tire u recommend, i run 37's now but would like to run 40's in d future, am i wasting my money buying just d housing? P.S my driving style is moderate and not aggresive at all. Haha thks
Ahh....I dunno. Maybe? Probably? As I said, it's very hard to say because there are so many variables. Regardless of whether you can keep the front end together, the unit bearing still won't like swinging meat that big. As an example, talk to any shop that does tire installation on 4x4 trucks. They'll tell you that ball joint and unit bearing wear rapidly accelerates when larger tires are installed.

For me personally, while I said that I'd run our 44/60 combo, I wouldn't go to 40's with the standard JK wheel ends and 30 sp shafts (even GOOD shafts). I don't want to worry about breaking if I have to use a bit of pedal. What's the fun in that?!!

Our hobby is expensive and just gets more so when we want to use BIG rubber.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

I find it hard to believe that you can buy/build axles that won't break, which is what some imply. Scott' first response is beat. Driver, wheeling and location.

There is no perfect tire/axle combo. We all can hash this out and no one will agree. I suggest you let research, your experiences and budget dictate your outcome.

It is fun to talk about all the scenarios, but I also like Scott's way. Build a Sick TJ, Hemi'd and D60s
Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep2007
I find it hard to believe that you can buy/build axles that won't break, which is what some imply. Scott' first response is beat. Driver, wheeling and location.

There is no perfect tire/axle combo. We all can hash this out and no one will agree. I suggest you let research, your experiences and budget dictate your outcome.

It is fun to talk about all the scenarios, but I also like Scott's way. Build a Sick TJ, Hemi'd and D60s
? For dynatrac, like i said i plan on getting the pr44 housing, is the 44 housing basiclly a pr60? so if i get it can i upgrade it later to a full pr60?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

No, you will not be able to stuff d60 gears into your pr44 housing.

The PR44 is a 44 housing, and fits JK d44 gears. The PR60 is a 60 housing, and fits d60 gears. As noted earlier, the 44/60 is a 44 housing. It uses d60 wheel ends for extra strength, but it still uses the normal jk d44 gears.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was impressed after seeing the NEMESIS JK with a PR44 (RCV shafts) and a PR60 with their V8 and 40's do Carnage Canyon on the JK experience. Will they break someday? Sure they will, they PUSH their rig harder than most ever. Congrats to Dynatrac for making a great product.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JKU-81
? For dynatrac, like i said i plan on getting the pr44 housing, is the 44 housing basiclly a pr60? so if i get it can i upgrade it later to a full pr60?
No, not at all. The end forgings (the 'C') are different between what you have now (and need to keep) and 60 outers. Nothing can be swapped over.

There are similarities between the PR44 and the 60. The end forging are very similar in strength but drilled for different ball joints. Our 60s have 3-1/8"x1/2" tubes compared to 3"x1/2" for the JK PR44 Unlimited. The PR60 housing is much more HD. It is designed for much heavier vehicles and can handle much greater loads.

We've been selling our hybrid 44/60. It has a PR44 center section and 60 wheel ends. It uses a 35 sp ARB and 35 spline shafts (full 35 sp- not like RCV 35 sp in Rubi replacement). It has bigger brakes and is a beefy unit. The Rubi 44 HP gear set has proven to be very strong and we're seeing users go to this smaller assembly to get away from unit bearing and get locking hubs.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tattedfire
Interested in this as well. Already have a PR44 in the front. Thinking about a currie rock jock 60 in the rear now. Oh and have the atlas II case and that thing is wicked!
Well you let me know when you get that Currie and ill be ther first in line for your ProRock!!!

Quick Reply: D60 rear and D44 front...... or?