Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D44 with TNT truss

Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D44 with TNT truss

Hey guys, I have a JK X with a 4.5in AEV premium lift. As I have gotten more and more into wheeling it was time for an upgrade. The D30 is being replaced with a D44. I bought it used and stripped down. The previous owner was planning on building up this axle but decided to take a different route with the PR44. He didnt weld so it may be cheaper for him in the end to go with a PR44. The axle came with a TNT truss, EVO 44 Magnum sleeves, New LCA Mounts, and new shock mounts...It is all unwelded. Factory locker, 4.10s, no shafts or knuckles...I plan on adding some beefier shafts and 5.13's and will replace my 35s with some 37s or 38s.

Here are some pictures and then go ahead with some questions...

(sorry the Gf's foot got in the way...)

Looking at the 4th and 5th picture. My concern is the AEV bracket with that truss. The trackbar is attached to a bracket bolted to the housing. Now should I have concern with the the trackbar mounting up to the truss? I dont want to alter AEVs design as I feel it was right the first time and it rides much better then stock. The goal is to keep all the geometry the same as it is now. Also, where will I mount my steering stabilizer to the truss? I can weld more brackets on if need be, just wasnt sure if I was missing something.

Also the sleeves came with no directions, the previous owner already drilled the holes. Can anyone confirm that on the driver side tube there are 3 holes on the top and 3 on the bottom? The zerk fitting already seems to be in a good place. I will use project JKs video of mel doing the sleeves and C2s for guidance. We also plan on adding C2s later.

I am kinda stoked to get this started. This will be my 2nd time welding on axles. The first time was doing a spring over conversion for the H3 we have. So I am not totally new to this but I am not a pro yet either...

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

The holes for the sleeves are drilled evenly, but offset.The advantage was having the tubes stripped allowed the holes to be spaced evenly and spread. When the axle has brackets installed, the holes are oddly placed due to the location for drilling being limited. EVO can send you the instructions, or I can. Plug welds are straight forward. Zerts face forward for the sleeves and one plugs are done, lay a bead around the end making sure not to weld the zert,

Although not familiar with the AEV bracket, I don't see that as an issue. TNT is specific for welding the truss. Their directions are on their site as well.One bead per side and let cool for 30 minutes. Warping is very unlikely since the sleeves will be done. Placement for correct caster is key. Use their recommend measurements.

That will be one sick axle when done and good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I'm gonna start the sleeves today

Quick Reply: D44 with TNT truss