Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D44 Riddler Diff Fluid change question

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D44 Riddler Diff Fluid change question

Getting my gears changed to 5.38 next week along with Coast DS's, EVO C-gussets/sleeves and better ball joints but the question I had was after getting new diff covers such as Riddler's, does the amount of gear oil that needs to be swapped out change as well? I know some covers allow for more fluid depending on the size and where the fill hole is located. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

With a different cover, you can't go by the number of quarts in the differential.
The important thing is to get the oil level above the bottom of the axle tube, so it can lube the outer axle bearings in the rear, and lube the carrier bearings in the front axle.

Here is a picture showing the oil level as it relates to the OEM cover.
You can make a dip stick out of a zip tie. Try to get the same level with your new cover using the dip stick.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. Is there any issues that could arise from filling any cover up the fill hole?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Some covers have the fill hole way too high for some situations.
Too much fluid may foam, which is bad for proper lubrication, and will spew out the vent tube.

Quick Reply: D44 Riddler Diff Fluid change question