Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D44 E-Locker Wiring too short?!?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D44 E-Locker Wiring too short?!?

So I was testing the articulation of my lift and I noticed that when the front driver's side axle is at full droop the wire going to the front e-locker is too short. (don't worry, it wasn't connected when I was testing droop)

Has anyone tried to re-route this wire? Or make an extension for it? It appears that the upper wire (the actuator) is long enough, just the lower wire (the sensor) is too short.

HELP!

PS. I believe everyone with a long arm suspension should run into this issue, but I've read through a few companies installation instructions and no one says boo about it.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ammonm
So I was testing the articulation of my lift and I noticed that when the front driver's side axle is at full droop the wire going to the front e-locker is too short. (don't worry, it wasn't connected when I was testing droop)

Has anyone tried to re-route this wire? Or make an extension for it? It appears that the upper wire (the actuator) is long enough, just the lower wire (the sensor) is too short.

HELP!

PS. I believe everyone with a long arm suspension should run into this issue, but I've read through a few companies installation instructions and no one says boo about it.
Figure out how much length you need, cut the wires, add the needed length by SOLDERING the wires together. Before that you'll need to slip on some high quality heat shrink tubing with adhesive on the inside. Either one long piece or most likely two shorter pieces on each wire. After your done soldering position the heat shrink tubing over the two solder connections on each wire and hit it with a heat gun or your wife's/girlfriends hair dryer on high. Done.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worshipping overkill as I do, I also generously coated the outside of the wires with that liquid electrical tape.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I don't know why I didn't think of that... I was trying to find a way to re-route them to make them longer.

So, have you guys actually done this? Any pictures?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, one other question - (I'll probably be picking up the stuff I need on my lunch break today, so I won't have time to check this myself)

Do you happen to know what gauge wire it is? And if memory serves me correctly, there are just two wires in that lower harness, right?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Any pictures?
Naw, it's just splicing wires. Nothing too exciting. Make sure to check the length of your sensor wires too. Those are the ones going into the lower plug on the differential.

I did my ABS sensor wires as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
Naw, it's just splicing wires. Nothing too exciting.
Yeah, but I love pictures.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Naw, it's just splicing wires. Nothing too exciting. Make sure to check the length of your sensor wires too. Those are the ones going into the lower plug on the differential.

I did my ABS sensor wires as well.
I had to do one of my ABS sensors too. When i was using the 4" electric grinder with the wire brush to clean of the paint etc before I welded my ORE gussets the wire wheel ate the ABS sensor wire.

Like you said it's just splicing wires.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Oh, one other question - (I'll probably be picking up the stuff I need on my lunch break today, so I won't have time to check this myself)

Do you happen to know what gauge wire it is? And if memory serves me correctly, there are just two wires in that lower harness, right?
It's been a while, but I believe I used 16 or 18. And yes it is two wires for the actuator and two for the sensor.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chuck45
I had to do one of my ABS sensors too. When i was using the 4" electric grinder with the wire brush to clean of the paint etc before I welded my ORE gussets the wire wheel ate the ABS sensor wire.

Like you said it's just splicing wires.
I cut mine when I was yanking my stock bumper. I was trying to cut the fog light harness retainer out of the plastic and got the dykes at a wrong angle.

BTW I picked up the Jeep Monday. It's hitting stuff at a higher rpm, but there is some pedal still left now. I'm looking forward to receiving that AEV unit so I can reset the shift points. When I get into the pedal, it's wrapping up to about 5500 rpm right now before it shifts down.

Quick Reply: D44 E-Locker Wiring too short?!?