Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D30 Upgrade

Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D30 Upgrade

I've recently been looking into getting my 2012 re-geared from 3.21s to 4.56s and putting in Truetracs front and rear. I initially was just going to stick with my D30 but being as Im building up my JK to be more of a prerunner I don't see it lasting very long. My question is would going with a Dynatrac or Teraflex 44 up front and a Dana 60 out back be overkill for something I never plan on going bigger than 37's on?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it's overkill. More like confidence. That's the same set up ill be running eventually
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Junkie

Stopping at 37"s or not going to 37"s?

If you are going to 37"s and plan on PreRunning, then by all means stick a 44 or 60 up front. The rear 44 SHOULD be ok. But plan on going aftermarket later on the rear if you want to play really hard.

If you are not going to abuse the Jeep too badly, D44 up front should suffice. Especially if you stop at 35"s.

I would suggest bumping up to a 60 up front if you go 37"s if you can afford it and plan on abusing the Jeep with jumps in the dunes.

Plus, also plan on beefing up all your control arm mounts frame side and axle side.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Stopping at 37"s or not going to 37"s?

If you are going to 37"s and plan on PreRunning, then by all means stick a 44 or 60 up front. The rear 44 SHOULD be ok. But plan on going aftermarket later on the rear if you want to play really hard.

If you are not going to abuse the Jeep too badly, D44 up front should suffice. Especially if you stop at 35"s.

I would suggest bumping up to a 60 up front if you go 37"s if you can afford it and plan on abusing the Jeep with jumps in the dunes.

Plus, also plan on beefing up all your control arm mounts frame side and axle side.
Eventually when my 35s wear out I'll bump up to 37s. I dont plan on abusing the Jeep too much until I either install some king bumps front and rear or upgrade to the EVO DTD. I would love to run a 60 up front but its a substantial price jump that Im not sure I can justify. Thanks for the heads up on the beefing up of the control arm mounts I hadn't really thought about that.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I am planning on the EVO bolt on coilovers and 37s at that time I am going to also install the Dynatrac 44 in the front and eventually the 60 in the rear. I think the 30 is the weak link with 37s if you are going to do any amount of real 4 wheeling. The rear 44 I don't think will be any problem for a while but I will upgrade it eventually.

Quick Reply: D30 Upgrade