Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D30 axle

Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbins84
Thanks for the quick reply I understand i dont need either but since i am looking for more durability without the price of a D44 i think ill be going the truss route. Does anyone know what a ballpark price would be for having a shop do the work?
I'm having an Artec truss installed on my D44. I was quoted cost of the truss & $300.00 labor to install. That's here in PA.

NORTHRIDGE4X4
Old 11-29-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robbins84
Im not looking to swap just looking to add a little strength and reliability. Thanks Sam
My JKU sees asphalt 99% of it's life but I had a BJ fail at only 10K miles. While swapping it out I decided to reinforce the "C's", LCA mounts, and throw in Nitro sleeves. For only an extra $200 in parts it was a no-brainer. For the peace of mind it gave me I'd repay that $200 any day. Stronger and surly reliable for only a few hundred bucks more.

Last edited by Tripletsi; 11-29-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

These are the types of questions that there is no right answer to. Some people are wheeling on large tires for years without bending. Some are bending/shattering with stock tires while driving nothing but pavement. And then there are people who have bent and/or shattered housings that were beefed up with sleeves/gussets/truss/etc. Unfortunately, 'you' will not know which group you belong to until after something is bent. (ie. just because my axle bent on 33's and mostly freeway driving, has absolutely no relation to whether yours will with a bunch of overlanding...)

Get prices from your local shops for all of the various upgrades, then decide for yourself if any of it is worth it. Maybe just start a savings fund for a 44/60 upgrade for if/when the d30 explodes. If it never fails, you're ahead of the game...
Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree. I've wheeled on heavy 35s for 6 years without issue then the last year on 37s. Structurally the D30 is exactly the same strength as the factory D44. They share the same tubes and Cs. The D44 is only heavier internally with bigger ring and pinion and axle shafts. Wheel it as it is and if you see it start to have issues then revisit the subject and the options.

Quick Reply: D30 axle