Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D30 axle

Old 11-29-2015, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D30 axle

Hello all i have a D30 in the front obviously but i was wondeing since im planing on running 33"tires cause i dont play in rocks and really only use it for overland types of travel. Also dont have the funds to build a D44. What exactly do the axel reinforcements do? How much of a benefit is an axle truss or c gussets? Im not looking to swap just looking to add a little strength and reliability.

Thanks
Sam
Old 11-29-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robbins84
Hello all i have a D30 in the front obviously but i was wondeing since im planing on running 33"tires cause i dont play in rocks and really only use it for overland types of travel. Also dont have the funds to build a D44. What exactly do the axel reinforcements do? How much of a benefit is an axle truss or c gussets? Im not looking to swap just looking to add a little strength and reliability.

Thanks
Sam
If you're just over landing with 33's you really don't need either.

The sleeves reinforce the tubes from bending ( get pounded inside the axle )The C gussets reinforce the C's to help prevent them bending.
A truss is the ultimate strength addition making it near impossible to bend the axle.

I don't rock crawl or do anything extreme and I've been fine for 3 years with a D30 on a 4" lift and 37's .

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum

Last edited by JayswranglerX; 11-29-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
If you're just over landing with 33's you really don't need either. The sleeves reinforce the tubes from bending ( get pounded inside the axle )The C gussets reinforce the C's to help prevent them bending. A truss is the ultimate strength addition making it near impossible to bend the axle. I don't rock crawl or do anything extreme and I've been fine for 3 years with a D30 on a 4" lift and 37's . Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Thanks for the quick reply I understand i dont need either but since i am looking for more durability without the price of a D44 i think ill be going the truss route. Does anyone know what a ballpark price would be for having a shop do the work?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To have a shop do the work I will estimate around $1000 including price of truss. Axle seals and balljoints will likely need to be changed after the welding is done as well.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mark dorion does a lot of overland adventures on this forum and he's got a small group he travels with frequently. I'd pick his mind about what he has seen fail and go with that.

C gussets are always cheap and solid insurance regardless of what you want to do with the jeep. One good pothole can bend your C then you're stuck with poor camber.

Be careful not to get sucked into "keeping up with the Jones" when it comes to the jeep otherwise you'll have lots of money tied up into things you don't need. Truss may be overkill and especially if you're not already lifted to clear it.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Mark dorion does a lot of overland adventures on this forum and he's got a small group he travels with frequently. I'd pick his mind about what he has seen fail and go with that. C gussets are always cheap and solid insurance regardless of what you want to do with the jeep. One good pothole can bend your C then you're stuck with poor camber. Be careful not to get sucked into "keeping up with the Jones" when it comes to the jeep otherwise you'll have lots of money tied up into things you don't need. Truss may be overkill and especially if you're not already lifted to clear it.
Thanks ill talk to him see what he has to sugest. Thank you all for your replys
Old 11-29-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I seriously would not waste my money or time if you are running 33's. Use your head while off roading you will not have any issues with the stock axle. I have 33's with 180,000 on the clock and no issues. You could use that money for other mods that actually make a difference. The axle strength is a totally over blown thing.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running 35's on a D30 for years. 2010 JKU with 3.5" lift. Been off road and trail about 5 times a year on average in Sedona, Phoenix and El Paso areas (some decent rocks included). No issues on the D30 at all. I will truss and gusset mine soon, as I regear to 5.13's, but I plan on bumping to 37's soon. If you're just running 33's and not a lot of tough off-roading, I'd save my grand for something of more importance. That D30 really is sufficient for what you're doing.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

130k here, c gussets and 33's. I've got Spicer joints and synergy bj's because I was already in the axle doing work. I prefer to prevent than to fix down the road....but that's just me.

To each their own.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure that anything more then a d30 front is needed for what I do. We do blues at rausch creek and I run 35s. Haven't had an issue. We've gone three times in the last 4 months. I just don't think the d30 issues are from normal wheelers. I think they're for the extreme guys who are bouncing them off rocks.

Mine has c-gussets but that's it. Was like 60 for the gussets and 60ish for the install.

Quick Reply: D30 axle