Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D30??

Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just out crawling up some ledges. I put my stock set up through the same scenario and scattered the spider gears. This episode, ya I broke 3 of the 4 front axles, carrier and the driver carrier bearing. You can see the piece of the axle stuck in the carrier stuck in the locker. Supposedly the weak link, gears and u joints are fine. Go figure.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you "crawl" up the ledge or did you "hit" it. I'm shocked to see that kind of damage on a built up D30 if you eased up the ledge. I was looking to build up my D30 but not if it'll end up braking that easily.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mvmarketer
Just dropped big bucks into my D 30 and within 2 hours I totalled it.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/members/ctnedge-22384-albums-axle-carnage-2683/

I have a lunch box in it (had) broke the chromoly axles in 3 places leaving the splines stuck in the Aussie which is now stuck in the carrier which is also destroyed along with the carrier bearing. I'm gonna build a dynatrac 44 with 44 cv axles, gears and a rubi locker since thats the carrier and then I can finish it off with my D 30 brakes etc.
Good luck with that D 30!
So what brand of axles were you using when this happened? just curious.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

I don't understand what you guys are doing with your JKs. There's a dozen Jeeps in my club running a D30 up front with 4.56+ R&P and Detroits on 35s-37s and NOTHING for YEARS and YEARS of hard wheeling. I'm pretty sure some of these guys blowing up JK 30s are just gunning it or hitting it hard at every obstacle. I'm so surprised the JK D30 are grenading the way they do yet are built stronger than the older D30s from the CJ to TJ line.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just out crawling up some ledges. I put my stock set up through the same scenario and scattered the spider gears. This episode, ya I broke 3 of the 4 front axles, carrier and the driver carrier bearing. You can see the piece of the axle stuck in the carrier stuck in the locker. Supposedly the weak link, gears and u joints are fine. Go figure.
How many front axles do you have?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both fronts have 2 axles joined by a u joint. The axles were chromoly whatevers, I forgot the brand name. The obstacles were climbed properly both with the stock shafts as well as the chromoly's and I still have the stocks in good shape. Massive chromoly failure is the culprit here I believe. I'm no jeep engineer but weren't the cj's etc quite a bit lighter? I never had problem one with my last jeep in the same situations. D 30's are built for street use and mild trails which is why there is 1000 threads on axle upgrades and massive failures on this and many other forums.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Axle and stub shaft, you broke the ears on the stub shaft at the joint and also internally on the axle shaft itself? Hell, I'll stick with stockers then, I got extras. Chromo overated. Same thing kinda happened in my cj rear , spun the splines on a hub, went ahead and put a chromo in with a new hub and snapped it within a week Put the stocker back in and just went through hubs after that.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya the splines on both internals and sheared the spline off at the hub. I'm with you on the chromoly. I hear the RCV shafts are damn tough. Ought to be at $1k!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Ya the splines on both internals and sheared the spline off at the hub. I'm with you on the chromoly. I hear the RCV shafts are damn tough. Ought to be at $1k!
Yeah, I'm debating on those right now. Depends on what I break in the d-30 as to which direction I'm going, I've got some spare stockers, and a lockright in the front. If I screw the R&P or carrier, I'm goin d-60, if it's just axles , may go rcv. We don't have allotta rocks here, just muddy trails, so.... I actually hammered them pretty good yesterday on a trail, so far, so good, not rocks though, think that's where I'd run into probs.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

I was actually expecting to break something yesterday since it was the first off-road with my new 37's

Quick Reply: D30??