Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D-ring security

Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bly109
mine stay in the trail bag unless we are on a run. The kids around here steal everything that isnt nailed down

same here. I dont carry squat in my Jeep unless i am going somewhere. generally daily driving there isnt much of anything in it except the kiddo seat in the back.

(currently have my drings on with the snot cranked out of them, but that is just because i keep forgetting to take them off)

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 06-03-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really don't want to weld them on. If you're putting a strap or something on you'll need to take them off. The best way of keeping them is not to have them on the bumper in the first place. Mine stay stored except when on the trail. A potential problem with torquing them on is that over time (quite a few miles between trails without using them, road salt, de-icers or dust mitigators, adding in a bit of forgetfulness) is that they could seize up and not be available when you do need them (think NeverSeize.)

On the side I had an interesting discussion with an old, old time off-roader this weekend. His winch is going though its second vehicle and that old D90 is pretty long in the tooth. He is opposed to keeping his cable hooked to a D-ring saying a slight front accident -anything from a chance encounter with a tree to a small kiss from another bumper and your cable's ruined. He showed me how he keeps tension on his line and pulls it in to around 24"-18" from the fairlead. He then bumps it in with the thimble sideways so the hook rides firmly, but not overwhelmingly against the horizontal rollers. It's too firm if you can't push the hook to the side (flat against the rollers) with a bit of effort. Just something to think about. He sold me on it.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
I had 6 of them and I'm down to 5 because someone took 1 off in a hardware store parking lot. I'm not why they took 1 and not the other on the front? I assumed they saw me coming.

Can you tack weld them?
how would you get them off to use them on the trail?

Quick Reply: D-ring security