Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cylinder Head compatability

Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lilviper95
just out of curiosity frank, what were the cars that you were putting cams into? I have installed cams in a wide variety of vehicles from 4 cylinders to v8's fuel injected and carb'd and have seen significant gains in the low end, mid range and top end....all depending on the motor they were installed into as well as the specific grind of the cam.
Puzzactly. If the engine is designed for bottom end torque to begine with, (think big block Chevy), then you pretty much ain't gonna change that very much. I mean, you CAN move the power band up in a big block, but it's still gonna be a tire shreddin mofo no matter what you do, cause it was designed for torque down low. These 3.8 engines actually ARE quite powerful. It just doesn't feel that way because of all of the weight they have to haul around. I sorta wish somebody would come out with some mods like we've talked about here. I mean...naturally aspirated mods. I know the RIPP is a great unit...but still, I don't think these engines are built to withstand a blower, but some camshaft, throttle body, injector and PCM upgrades would be da bomb. 50 more horse power under 3K would be the shit. ...and that's reachable with the right stuff, and it would be reliable, IMO.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilviper95
just out of curiosity frank, what were the cars that you were putting cams into? I have installed cams in a wide variety of vehicles from 4 cylinders to v8's fuel injected and carb'd and have seen significant gains in the low end, mid range and top end....all depending on the motor they were installed into as well as the specific grind of the cam.
My 350z for one. A honda civic hatchback. Buick grand national, 06 mustang. All were turbo'd. And from dyno results the gains were up high. And kept the TQ curve good and flat. Where with out the cams the wtq would fall off. I'm no BS er. If you new me personaly you would know that. In my lastest project which was the Z. I installed bc2 cams. Which allowed me to take my rev limit up to almost 8600 rpms on a built block of course with a compression ratio of 8.8.1 I had the fastest z in my area besides my buddy Hal at injected Performance in lexington. his street car was putting out 900 whp on Q16 running a custom single GT47r. I also ran water/meth in all of my cars. I have never built any V8's all 4 and 6 cyl only. The grand national was my first car which had a factory turbo and got me hooked on boost It was cam'd also. And I ran pure meth in it. Till the fuel system got all ate up. Then I learned my lesson about pure meth. And that was a little over 15 years ago.

Last edited by frankie945; 03-04-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by frankie945
My 350z for one. A honda civic hatchback. Buick grand national, 06 mustang. All were turbo'd. And from dyno results the gains were up high. And kept the TQ curve good and flat. Where with out the cams the wtq would fall off. I'm no BS er. If you new me personaly you would know that. In my lastest project which was the Z. I installed bc2 cams. Which allowed me to take my rev limit up to almost 8600 rpms on a built block of course with a compression ratio of 8.8.1 I had the fastest z in my area besides my buddy Hal at injected Performance in lexington. his street car was putting out 900 whp on Q16 running a custom single GT47r. I also ran water/meth in all of my cars. I have never built any V8's all 4 and 6 cyl only. The grand national was my first car which had a factory turbo and got me hooked on boost It was cam'd also. And I ran pure meth in it. Till the fuel system got all ate up. Then I learned my lesson about pure meth. And that was a little over 15 years ago.
I wasnt calling bs, I was just curious what type of motors you were working with. As has already been stated the type of motor you are working with will somewhat dictate where you can expect the largest gains.
As far as the higher reving small displacement motors go, I have worked on SRT-4 motors, as well as N/A 2.0 and 2.4 chrysler motors. the 2.0 chrysler motor was higher revving than the 2.4 due to differences in the stroke and the 2.0 saw gains more in the upper hp range while the 2.4 saw incredible hp and torque gains after being cammed. The N/A 2.4 I swapped into a lightened neon 2 door, had custom grind crane cams in it, high comp pistons, head was ported/polished, custom box intake with 70mm tb, custom tri-y long tube header with 1 7/8" primaries into a 3" merge collector. That engine started life around 150 hp and was putting down close to 300 with no power adders like nitrous or turbo. I also have done cam work on honda engines where the only gains to be had were in the high rpm range (since honda motors make absolutely no bottom end power!)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by highoctane
Geeze how much misinformation is gonna be posted in this thread. Ill ket someone else explain why but I will say most def not true. Duration, lift, lsa, etc all effect where the cam will make power.
TRUE
Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
wait what? you're having your cam adjusted?

if you guys know the lift/duration/etc you want, you can have a cam custom ground. my buddy just had one done for his VW and it cost him around 300 bucks with lifters and pushrods and i THINK rockers, but i'm not sure
Gridded, and looking into changing the timing, if possible I'll like to get rid of the timing chain and do gears. I have a pile of Krap to have someone in Chrysler sit on it..

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head compatability