Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CV Joint Failure

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Failure

Started hearing a noise similar to an exhaust leak. Only happened above 10mph. Frequency increased with speed. "Puft" is how I spell the sound. Mud tires and radio drown it out until doors removed.

Changed front ujoint on drive shaft and no change. Travelled 200 miles yesterday on it (no choice). Sound transitioned to a high pitch "squeak" with the same frequency as before. Put it in 4wd to test and physically thumps at same frequency. Loud enough to hear over tires and radio now. Still drives great though in 2wd.

Lifted 4" with aftermarket diveshafts. 2013 jkur lifted at 8000 and sound stared at 11k.

CV joint is my next guess since I received used drive shafts. . Oh, Have not used 4wd except to lubricate since lift installed so no obstacles damaged components. Any advice?

thanks

Quick Reply: CV Joint Failure