Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CV Drive Shaft or Regear, which one should go first?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Drive Shaft or Regear, which one should go first?

My rig has 3 inch lift and 35 inch tire already.

I am going to upgrade drive shaft and re gear to 5.13. But I can only
afford one thing at a time. My question is, which order of upgrade should
I go first? Drive Shaft or Re gear
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say driveshaft first.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

My luck would be that the drive shaft would blow out on the way home from having my new gears installed........so I vote driveshaft as well.

You can always get by with shitty gears, but a blown driveshaft is a bit of a show stopper
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

How long has the lift been on? What is the actual lift height? What are your driving habits? (mostly street, light trails, heavy flexing) Do you have adjustable ca's front and back? How long will you have to save to get whichever option you wait on?

Crawl underneath and take a good look at the tcase ends of both shafts. Do the boots look good? Or is there grease spitting out? (either on the joint or in an arc on the undercarriage above the joint)

If either are spitting grease, there's you answer. If you don't have adjustables, you will need a set for each shaft.

You have a 4door manual, right? Assuming that both shafts are still in good shape, and if you don't make a habit of max flex on a daily basis, I would guess that you will be safe going with the gears...
Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same dilemma, go with the gears first like I did, and it will help put less stress on the driveshafts, until you get those done.
You will have a hard time breaking one of them unless you are a hard driver on your Jeep.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You will have a hard time breaking one of them unless you are a hard driver on your Jeep.
It's not about 'breaking', it's about the steeper angles from the lift. Those little rubber boots get pinched, wear through, lose grease, dry out, make noise, and then seize. This is a bad thing in general, but if you happen to be on the freeway at the time... you just lost your r&p and tcase as well...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Same delima here! I will be putting on OME HD on my stock 2 door, and expect 3"- 4" of lift(no heavy bumper, winch, etc, YET!). I want to re-gear for 35's. but, I decided to put in Tom Woods front and rear DS, frt uca's and rear uca's and run 33's until I regear. At least I will not have to worry about disco'd and flexing suspension!

All will be done in time!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Right or wrong I regeared 1st. But it wasn't long until I changed the front shaft. The rear is still stock for now. But will be the next mod.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went gears then shaft
Old 01-08-2011, 06:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

being that you have a 4-door and a manual, i'd be willing to bet that your drive shafts are okay and might recommend going with gears. as mentioned, double check the condition of your cv boots and if they still look good (as they should), you're good to go

Quick Reply: CV Drive Shaft or Regear, which one should go first?