Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cutting rear wheel lip

Old 01-30-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2 door with an RK 3.5" lift and 35s. As of right now, I'm running only the factory bumpstops as they are perfect for my application. I'm moving to 37s after I adjust my bumps I'm sure I'm doing to lose a bit of up travel. I'm thinking of cutting the area around the wheel well that is recessed for the factory flares, not completely cut, but take about an inch or so off all the way around. I'm just trying to see if anyone else out there has done it. I've searched but couldn't find any. I plan on using a zip wheel to make the cuts and a die grinder/ angle grinder to clean it up, then probably bend some sheet metal and tac it up to fill the gap in front of the tire where it is kind of a "pocket". I'm going to bed line the whole wheel well so it should be covered pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-309417656.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	636156   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3622014470.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	636157   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-705694652.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	636158  
Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

You can cut the fender well all the way up to the spot welds. Plenty of people have done it, even if you cant find write ups
Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel
You can cut the fender well all the way up to the spot welds. Plenty of people have done it, even if you cant find write ups
What spot welds are you referring to? I know plenty of people have comp cut but I'm not looking to do that much right now. Just to be more clear, I'm not looking for a "how to" or anything. Just seeing if anyone has pictures of how theirs turned out or such before I get started tonight. If not then it's no big deal lol.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I've got a 2 door with an RK 3.5" lift and 35s. As of right now, I'm running only the factory bumpstops as they are perfect for my application. I'm moving to 37s after I adjust my bumps I'm sure I'm doing to lose a bit of up travel. I'm thinking of cutting the area around the wheel well that is recessed for the factory flares, not completely cut, but take about an inch or so off all the way around. I'm just trying to see if anyone else out there has done it. I've searched but couldn't find any. I plan on using a zip wheel to make the cuts and a die grinder/ angle grinder to clean it up, then probably bend some sheet metal and tac it up to fill the gap in front of the tire where it is kind of a "pocket". I'm going to bed line the whole wheel well so it should be covered pretty well.
There is foam insulation inside that hollow where your pointing in the first pic. Might need to cut it back or dig it out if your going to weld on it.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Search for any post by Planman. At the bottom in his sig line will be a link to his thread on fitting 37's with minimal lift. Might have some useful info on trimming.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks Rob for the heads up incase I didn't notice it.
I'll give the thread a look, appreciate it buddy!

Quick Reply: Cutting rear wheel lip