Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cutting off front cross member?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting off front cross member?

Anybody remove the metal cross member under the front bumper that the stock plastic air dam was attached to?? I was thinking of cutting mine off as I don't have a electroinc disconnect motor. I can't really think of any other reason for it (unless I planned on adding an aftermarket front skid down the road). If anyone has done this and has pics I would really like to see them. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that would add some structural rigidity. And I'm SURE that would completely void any warrantee you have if any. I guess if it was just thin sheet metal I'd say ok but anything more than thin sheetmetal I'd say don't risk it!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I cut mine off and put a skid on! Protected with better clearance!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gimp_dkd
Anybody remove the metal cross member under the front bumper that the stock plastic air dam was attached to?? I was thinking of cutting mine off as I don't have a electroinc disconnect motor. I can't really think of any other reason for it (unless I planned on adding an aftermarket front skid down the road). If anyone has done this and has pics I would really like to see them. Thanks.
It's not there to protect the electronic sway bar disconnect motor. (Although it probably does.)

It's called a "compatibility beam", and is there to satisfy the requirement to have something on the front of the JK that will align with the bumper beams of smaller passenger cars.

The only problem you may run into with removing it is if you go over the hood and through the windshield of another vehicle, (it may not prevent that anyway) and the lawyers discover you removed it. Lawyers LOVE to look for things like that.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-07-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm thinking i might just go and hack mine off in favor of the expedition one rubi skid. i tweaked the hell out of mine smacking a boulder at rausch creek at the 09 meet n greet. i was going to go with the lod skid when i get my front stubby but i think it'd just be easier to do the exp-1 skid instead of trying to straighten it out to mount the lod. anybody know if the expedition one rubi skid will work with the lod stubby front bumper?

as for the op's question, i'd do it in a heartbeat if i didn't have the e-disco but i figure until i get a skid up there i should probably keep it on
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info guys. Gives me something to think about.

Quick Reply: Cutting off front cross member?