Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cutting off the front bash bar

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting off the front bash bar

I want to cut off the front bash bar, since it serves no purpose unless you have the electronic sway bar disco. Who here has done this? Did you just use a sawzall? Any pics?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by G-Spot
I want to cut off the front bash bar, since it serves no purpose unless you have the electronic sway bar disco. Who here has done this? Did you just use a sawzall? Any pics?

No pics but I cut mine off to put a skid plate there. Super easy, sawzall, all the way cuts very easy.

Best,
Derek
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Awesome

Thanks, I'll be doing this sometime within the next week.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Spot
Bad idea. Its other name is "front crossmember" and yes it does serve the purpose of stiffening the overall frame structure. Its part of the ladder frame so I'd leave it intact if I were you.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hmmmm...

Are you sure it adds structural support? It is attached with pretty weak looking tabs. I have to be honest, it appears to have little to no structural support. But hey, I could be wrong.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Bad idea. Its other name is "front crossmember" and yes it does serve the purpose of stiffening the overall frame structure. Its part of the ladder frame so I'd leave it intact if I were you.
I am not 100% sure of the purpose it servers other than being in the way. But I replaced mine with a even better clearance and stronger skid plate, which mounts up at where it was and goes on back.

I will stick by what I said and it wont hurt anything if you remove it. Something that stiffens the frame shouldnt be able to be removed by a sawzall in 30 seconds.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm curious here. What is it "in the way" of? I've been under there numerous times and it has yet to get in my way.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

In the way of installing a skid plate - for me anyways.

It also freed up roughly 2.5-3 inches of clearance in the front end to. The bash bar hangs down the skid doesnt.

Last edited by derekls; 04-08-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Also like to point out - after cutting it off If I do see I need one, Ill weld one myself, because the stock was done very very shitty. No strength at all.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by derekls
In the way of installing a skid plate - for me anyways.

It also freed up roughly 2.5-3 inches of clearance in the front end to. The bash bar hangs down the skid doesnt.

I think there are bumpers on the market that have skids that actually go over that crossmember. We built my bumper and now that cross member serves as extra support for my skid!

I wouldn't cut it off, atleast until you have something to put in it's place to stiffen it back up.

Quick Reply: Cutting off the front bash bar