Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cut or No Cut Brackets with Long Arm Lift?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut or No Cut Brackets with Long Arm Lift?

Ok, I'm trying to decide which 6" long arm lift to buy. I thought I was set on the Teraflex LCG lift, then I went to the Jeep Fest in Denver and saw a 6" Pro Comp Lift that did not require you to cut off the stock brackets or to weld the new long arm brackets in place. What are your thoughts on this?

I like the idea of being able to keep my stock Rubicon suspension to put back on the jeep should I ever decide to sell the jeep (for example to upgrade in 10 years when better technology.... electric jeep?... comes out). I realize not welding the brackets in place will not be as strong, but it must work....

Are there any other lifts that don't require cutting off the stock brackets out there that people recommend? I have heard the full traction lift is just too squeaky and that drives me nuts.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somethings to keep in mind: How heavy is a 4dr JK? Your factory brackets were welded on for a reason. Sometimes a bolt on kit can take as much time as a weld on kit to install. TeraFlex LA kits are a weld on kit for strength and piece of mind. Also take a look at what comes with a TeraFlex 6" kit vs. Pro Comp's. The 4" kit has everything the 6" doe's but the #1600440 flip kit and 6" coils/shocks. Take a close look at TeraFlex control arms/bracket/ trackbars and compare them to ProComps. TeraFlex has been running Clevite style bushings on these kits from the start. Makes for a nice quiet ride along with the rebuildable flex joints on the other end. Take a look at this "Control Arm Comparison" on our website. http://www.teraflex.biz/tech/control-arm-comparison-2/

Last edited by TeraFlex; 07-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi

I went with the weld on, as Joe said piece of mind made my choice easy..... Iam very happy with my TeraFlex lift and the customer sevice is outstanding.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default cutting brackets

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I went with the weld on, as Joe said piece of mind made my choice easy..... Iam very happy with my TeraFlex lift and the customer sevice is outstanding.
I have no doubt the Teraflex lift is the better lift with all the parts you need. I'm just worried about having regrets later if I wanted to put the stock suspension back on to sell it. Who knows, gas could get up to $10 a gallon and selling a jeep with a 6" lift could be impossible.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
I have no doubt the Teraflex lift is the better lift with all the parts you need. I'm just worried about having regrets later if I wanted to put the stock suspension back on to sell it. Who knows, gas could get up to $10 a gallon and selling a jeep with a 6" lift could be impossible.
Yes true I had the same thoughts. But I just decded that the JK is mine for life or until I total it. I hit alot of trails and couldnt be with a Jeep. So I guess you just have to decide what is the best for you. I decided the Jeep will be in the family no matter what. If need be I wouldtow it to the trail head. LOL

Good Luck. Iam sure as well you could even oderthe stock mounts
Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
I'm thinking that if fuel gets up to $10/gallon, selling your Jeep will be the least of your problems...
Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you are going LA I assume you are gonna wheel the piss out of it... so the Jeep will be beat up anyway.... if not go SA or hold out for th eEVO LA kit
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Couldn't you run regular springs with long arms..theoretically?

Last edited by jkJason; 07-28-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Once you go long arm, you will never go back. We agree with Tera that welding in the mounts is simply the best structural solution for your JK when you drastically alter the suspension; i.e. going long arm!

Rock Krawler Suspension

The most innovative JK Suspension Available!

Quick Reply: Cut or No Cut Brackets with Long Arm Lift?