Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

custom stubby and stinger ideas

Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom stubby and stinger ideas

I was looking at some of the stingers and stubby bumpers in a catalog i have and was thinking of fabing one of my own. i was wondering if anyone had the dimensions of a stubby bumper so i could get an idea, or mabe just some pics. i measured the fornt of my jeep to get a feel for how i would weld the stinger onto the stubby. and info on what size tubing i should use and pics of stingers would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

here is the one that i built. more of a grill guard but my buddies call it a mini stinger.

i used 1.5" welded tube. for a $1.82 a foot it was worth it, because that is like 15 ft of tube. the DOM was about $15 a foot and the chrome moly was way more than that.

i think from fender to fender (the inside towards the grill) was like 40". i used 6"x2" c channel and capped the ends off. i was told that i should have used tube but i like this better. anymore questions just ask.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

thanks so much. i think ill base my stinger off yours. i like the stadility but i think i will make it longer/taller
Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

check my signature for my custom one. It is clickable
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

3/16" steel
48" wide
8" deep
7" tall on the front
the skid plate is bolted to the bar and welded to the bumper
going to add a hoop later

Last edited by NoobJeeper; 05-08-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85
i used 6"x2" c channel and capped the ends off. i was told that i should have used tube but i like this better.

That's what I used. I think it's plenty strong enough for this application, and alot lighter than 2x6 box tube. Still need to weld on my winch/grille guard. I have to decied where to move my solenoid box to first. It's in the way.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
That's what I used. I think it's plenty strong enough for this application, and alot lighter than 2x6 box tube. Still need to weld on my winch/grille guard. I have to decied where to move my solenoid box to first. It's in the way.

Looks good but you should try to run your winch cable under the grill instead of through it....it should reach....
Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Shrockworks stubby front with grill hoop and was thinking about making a stinger for it as well; I also like the stinger rear bumper PSC has for the TJ's thinking about adding that to my rear stubby i'm making.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a custom stubby but no stinger. It is just my version but it's always good to look at lots of different ideas. I like mine and other hate it. That's okay with me. I would design it closer to the grill if I do another one. I have a winch plate in there also that is not showing up in the pictures. I keep telling my wife that needs to be filled in but she keeps reminding me the wallet is empty also. In less than a year I'm not doing to bad with my wish list so I'll keep listening to her. The rust on the skid plate has been cleaned up and painted again. I will scratch it up again and use it like it was designed. That's why I made it so stout so I could actually use or abuse the heck out of it. The last pic shows my original version with a hoop. It also shows my testing (beating). I shaved two inches off the bottom after this outing on the rocks.

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 05-08-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Looks good but you should try to run your winch cable under the grill instead of through it....it should reach....
LOL, you had me thinking. I just went to look and it is routed under the grille, it just looks that way in the pic. I agree it could be hidden better though. I plan to try to put the solenoid box behind the grille so I'll rearrange it then. I have to get some longer cables though. The ones running from the solenoid box to the motor have zero slack.

Quick Reply: custom stubby and stinger ideas