Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Custom Roof Rack

Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rutdigger
Ya know, the funny thing about non-believers is that they will always be non-believers! Ok, in order to get any real use out of your slide you will have to slide it from front to rear..that will give you approx 5-6 feet of overhang off the rear of the jeep.

If you could make a C channel frame out of .75 square tubing...just rip cut a .75 sqaure tubeing in half and make a box frame minus the rear piece. Then make another (full sqare frame out of .5 sqare tubing..all 16 guage.

This frame would slide into the .75 c-channel frame you made. Attach the .75 frame to the bottom of the basket or just inside the bottom basket and keep it sqared up, then you can slide in your smaller fame and pull it out when needed. The .75 frame will not be very noticeable from the side but you would need to use some sort of screw type fasteners to keep the smaller frame from rattling inside the .75 frame though.

I think you have the right sizes in mind for the supports and basket also..
The bad part though is the non-believer has the welder... but thats ok Ill figure something out.

When I originally thought of making the slider I was picturing some kind of C channel but couldnt figure out how to make it work. I like your idea a lot and for the fasteners if we are on the same page I think if I kept it simple and just used 4-6 nuts and bolts to fasten the cage on the slider it could work. I wouldnt mind having to undo a couple bolts to slide the top off and it would also give me a solid point to anchor the basket when it is extended (front bolt holes would line up with rear and just reinstall the bolts).

I had originally figured the rack to slide off the side but I liek the idea of it coming off the back much better. I think that way i would be able to tie a larger tarp down giving me more room. And once I get around to it it would make the tailgate camp table I want in the perfect place.

This could work.. and Im really looking forward to it.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
....This could work.. and Im really looking forward to it.
It is VERY doable..just take your time and think it through.

One thing that will save you a ton of time is to make the whole thing out of foam poster board first. Make it small scale obviously but work out the details with the poster board. This will tell you right away what you forgot and what will work or not work.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rutdigger
It is VERY doable..just take your time and think it through.
Thanks again.. You have given me a ton of great ideas and brought life back to this project.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
Thanks again.. You have given me a ton of great ideas and brought life back to this project.
When you make that model you will get really excited and WANT to get out there and make it..lol Shoot some pics of your model when ya get it done
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 PM
JK Freak

Its going to be a slow process but there will be a write up for it with a ton of pics.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM
JK Freak

make your model, get everything worked out that way then you can get it built in a weekend..
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

So I was in this lame ass meeting tonight putting things together in my head.. The roof rack was one of those things. So I have the basic set up figured out and Rutdigger has helped with the slide out awning. I was thinking that I would like some lights in the awning but I couldnt have anything that drains the battery.

But then BOOM! this idea popped into my head.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ED-Rock-Lights!

These lights are cheap and really freaking bright. So I figured if I put 4 lights on either side and 2 on the end, underneath the slide out basket part. This would work perfectly. Since they are LED's they will barely draw any power.

Now the problem, usually these lights are simple to wire up. However, I want wires hidden but Im not sure how to slide the lights without screwing up the wiring.

I was thinking that I could have a plug at the front so when the basket is forward I can still turn them on and when the awning is extended I could unplug the front and then have another plug in the rear.

Tell me what you think.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Hey man..it dawned on me today what you can do to keep your slide from rattling in the C-channel frame. If you recall we talked about using .75 square tubing ripped in half for your slide frame track...then use .5 sqaure tubing for the actual pullout slide/cover. So, you will have about a .25" play on each side if the slide in the track. To keep this tight and almost eliminate rattles go to walmart and buy several of those white hard plastic cutting boards that are about .25" thick. Cut these boards into the same width strips as your track and glue them to the frame track. Your slide out will be sandwiched between the two hard plastic pieces and will slide out and in on those instead of bare metal. These cutting boards are very close to a material called "UHMW". This stuff is used in indutrial setting to act as a very tough area for things to slide over. It's used in the booms of telescopic craines alot also. Anyway, I think that will solve your rattle problem and will also make your slide alot easier to operate. Whatcha think?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

... You sir are a genius. If I wasnt on my cell phone there would be lots of thumbs up and bow things. Why do you have to live so far away I could use some of your mad fab skills...? (sad face here)

Last edited by Tgoods 09 X; 12-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking the same way

I'm not big on having all that weight up so high and want to build my own too. All I really want to put up there is the spare tire, high lift, shovel and a place to strap down folding chairs or other light gear. Luckilly I have a friend with a water jet and a line on thick aluminum sheet. I want to come up from the body just below the side windows to the top conforming about an inch or two to the roll of the side glass and top with a bend above the roof for a lightweight platform. I think I can make a crane using the high lift to set the tire off when needed. Weight, weight, weight, or the lack thereof with enough strength.

Quick Reply: Custom Roof Rack