Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Custom Roof Rack

Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Roof Rack

After a camping this weekend I have decided that my 2 door needs more space. After searching around I decided that I really like the Gobi stealth rack. However I do not like the price. I have access to a shop with a welder and tools to make my own. I want to have the option to fold the rack back like the Gobi to take me soft top off. I also want to incorporate the slide out feature that an Olympic has. I will be using square steel tubing as it will be easier to weld the angles. for the main frame I would like to use 1" or 1.5" tubing and for smaller supports I am thinking about using 1" or .5" tubing. However Im not sure about the thickness I need. This will be my first large project and Im not sure on the gauge tubing. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated and when I begin this undertaking Im hoping to do a write up on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I am looking forward to what you are gonna do! Keep us posted! Here is my rack that I am not happy with:

Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

We will see what happens. I am going to start taking measurements and sketching some plans up. Im not a huge fan of permanent roof racks but I need the space. I want to spend the time planning the rack so its perfect and doesnt turn out to be a pile.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Update: My neighbor and I have been talking and we have come up with several ideas. For now it looks like the Rack will be able to tilt back, slide out, and will be able to come off in 3 pieces. We are throwing the idea of having a tent on it, and are working on a mounting system that will work with windshield mounted lights. Hopefully there will be pictures in the next couple weeks. I was wondering if someone could please post pics of where the AEV snorkel sits in relation to the windshield. We want to make the rack work with a Snorkel as it is in future plans for my JK.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Heres what I have so far. I want to be able to take the soft top on and off, I have also put the idea of the basket part folding over to make an awning, and finally it should be able to come off in three parts (front, basket, and rear section) Im not sure what size steel to use. but this is what I have so far.

Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift 003.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	100282
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
After a camping this weekend I have decided that my 2 door needs more space. After searching around I decided that I really like the Gobi stealth rack. However I do not like the price. I have access to a shop with a welder and tools to make my own. I want to have the option to fold the rack back like the Gobi to take me soft top off. I also want to incorporate the slide out feature that an Olympic has. I will be using square steel tubing as it will be easier to weld the angles. for the main frame I would like to use 1" or 1.5" tubing and for smaller supports I am thinking about using 1" or .5" tubing. However Im not sure about the thickness I need. This will be my first large project and Im not sure on the gauge tubing. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated and when I begin this undertaking Im hoping to do a write up on it.
Looks like you have put alot of time and thought into this project. Your sketch is looking good. Some things to consider. 16 Gauge will be plenty strong enough for a normal roof rack; however, if you are planning on eventually putting a tent up there and the weight of 2-4 people I would consider 14 guage. But, 14 guage is considerably heavier then 16 guage.

Then really look into how you are going to make your slide mechanism. This part will be the point that will be more prone to weakness and noise.

Consider the placement of your ladder in relation to a tire swing, gerry can holders, and hi-lift jack.

If you have the tools to do it, or even pay someone to do it I would consider making bends for the corners. It creates a factory look and you will be much happier with the look.

I look forward to seeing your build man! I think it's going to look awsome!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

I appreciate the input. I think I am going to ditch the tent idea. I have been thinking about it and its a lot more work than I think is needed. 90% of the time Im camping I dont use a tent anyway.

As for the slide out mechanism I was wondering how I could do this and Im not sure. So today I got to thinking what about a folding basket. I could hinge the drivers side of the basket and pull the basket over. As for the latching mechanism for both the ladder and the basket I was thinking about using that $20 latch like you have on your rear tire carrier.

One other thing I was thinking about. What size and shape tubing would you recommend.

Last edited by Tgoods 09 X; 11-05-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

...As for the slide out mechanism I was wondering how I could do this and Im not sure.....$20 latch like you have on your rear tire carrier...One other thing I was thinking about. What size and shape tubing would you recommend.
That is a good latch and you can get them in vertical or horizontal pull also. Let's look at the slide you were talking about. This is an interesting idea, one that I have not ran across yet. What is the purpose of the slideout? Is it to provide a pull out shade type thing, or for cargo, or both?

Square tubing would is what most upper racks are made of..if your not using a tent then 16 guage will be plenty strong enough if you don't do a run over about 5' ish and cross brace every 18" on center or so.. but definetly bend the ends instead of weld. You will like the look better. Round tubing is what most use for the supports. Honestly I would find a pic of the type of carrier your like and see if they tell what size tubing it uses and then use that. Make sure it's tubing and not pipe. I would say 1.5 would be a good beefy look. Definetly don't use .5" it will be way to small.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rutdigger
Let's look at the slide you were talking about.. What is the purpose of the slideout? Is it to provide a pull out shade type thing, or for cargo, or both?

Square tubing would is what most upper racks are made of.. if you don't do a run over about 5' ish and cross brace every 18" on center or so.. Round tubing is what most use for the supports.
For the slide out I was thinking that when I get to the campsite I can pull it out drop a couple legs and strech a tarp over it. For cooking under, sleeping under, just over all shelter from the elements if needed. Not to mention I think it would be cool as hell. I am putting a lot of work and effort into this (not to mention taking a ton of flack from non-believers). May sound lame but I want to be able to stand back and be impressed (along with others).

The tubing makes sense. I like the idea of using round for the main supports and square for the upper parts. The Gobi rack uses 1.25" for the main supports and 3/4" for the basket, and to me it looks small. So 1.5" should look good for the main support and 1.25" for the upper basket should do the trick.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

For the slide out I was thinking that when I get to the campsite I can pull it out drop a couple legs and strech a tarp over it. For cooking under, sleeping under, just over all shelter from the elements if needed. Not to mention I think it would be cool as hell. I am putting a lot of work and effort into this (not to mention taking a ton of flack from non-believers). May sound lame but I want to be able to stand back and be impressed (along with others).

The tubing makes sense. I like the idea of using round for the main supports and square for the upper parts. The Gobi rack uses 1.25" for the main supports and 3/4" for the basket, and to me it looks small. So 1.5" should look good for the main support and 1.25" for the upper basket should do the trick.
Ya know, the funny thing about non-believers is that they will always be non-believers! It 's the believers that make things happen.. It's not lame at all.

Ok, in order to get any real use out of your slide you will have to slide it from front to rear..that will give you approx 5-6 feet of overhang off the rear of the jeep. If you went side to side you would be lucky to get 4 due to being so cramped close to the jeep.

If you could make a C channel frame out of .75 square tubing...just rip cut a .75 sqaure tubeing in half and make a box frame minus the rear piece. Then make another (full sqare frame out of .5 sqare tubing..all 16 guage.

This frame would slide into the .75 c-channel frame you made. Attach the .75 frame to the bottom of the basket or just inside the bottom basket and keep it sqared up, then you can slide in your smaller fame and pull it out when needed. The .75 frame will not be very noticeable from the side but you would need to use some sort of screw type fasteners to keep the smaller frame from rattling inside the .75 frame though.

I think you have the right sizes in mind for the supports and basket also..

Quick Reply: Custom Roof Rack