Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Custom rock rails redone

Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White Widow
last time i checked body mounts were made to be somewhat flexible. dont get me wrong they look great but i smashed my stocker rockers into the body and they pretty much mount the same as yours.
They seem pretty stout to me when they are bolted up. I jumped on them and they didn't move, so I'm happy with them.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

if your jk only weighed 130 to 200 pounds jumping on your rock rails would be a great strength test
Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those look good!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White Widow
if your jk only weighed 130 to 200 pounds jumping on your rock rails would be a great strength test
The day I plan on putting all the weight of my Jeep on the rock rails I'll go ahead and weld some frame mounts to the rails, but for now the weight of a 185lb person jumping on the rails will suffice. Maybe I'm not as hard core as you, but when I get to that level I'll rebuild.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

cool they look great though i do like the style of them
Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

sorry to be the bad guy here. A good hit and that will damage your rocker panels. The three connecting points; of flat steel stock, has no vertical strength. If you want to go down this route, you will need at least 3 more brackets that attach to the body. If you want to sick with just 3 mounting points, make the brackets square beams. If the square bean that runs parallel with your rocker panel is not up against your pinch seam, you may want to do that. That will help distribute your load.

Just looked at your picture. Definitely to weak. Those flat brackets will crush your rocker panels. That flat plate running down the length of your rocker panel needs to be L shaped with the horizontal plate up against the bottom of the body.

But, I am just providing you ideas that have not been validated so before making any changes, please consult with an engineer to validate the strength.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 01-28-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: revisited picture
Old 01-29-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
sorry to be the bad guy here. A good hit and that will damage your rocker panels. The three connecting points; of flat steel stock, has no vertical strength. If you want to go down this route, you will need at least 3 more brackets that attach to the body. If you want to sick with just 3 mounting points, make the brackets square beams. If the square bean that runs parallel with your rocker panel is not up against your pinch seam, you may want to do that. That will help distribute your load.

Just looked at your picture. Definitely to weak. Those flat brackets will crush your rocker panels. That flat plate running down the length of your rocker panel needs to be L shaped with the horizontal plate up against the bottom of the body.

But, I am just providing you ideas that have not been validated so before making any changes, please consult with an engineer to validate the strength.
I'm lost with this whole post so I will just give a quick overview of how this was built and why.

The square tubing that runs the lenght of the rocker is a 1x1 3/4" square tube that is attached to the rocker with 4 bolts throught existing holes in the rocker. There are also 2 pieces of plate that attach to the body mounts. I did this because it was easy and pretty strong.

I'm not saying that this is the best way to build a hard core rail, I know it's not the strongest mount. I didn't build this rail to plow it into a rock, drop the weight of the jeep on it, then drive off and think everything would be happy go lucky. I built these to see if I could do it, to clean up the bottom of the jeep, and to provide a little protection when I go run some trails.
Building crazy strong rails was not what I was going after, it was a waste of time for me to do due to the fact that I don't plan on doing any hard core wheeling at this time. When I decide to turn my jeep into a toy I'll be sure to rebuild my rails.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry, did not see the body mounts. That will help considerably and was one of my earlier points. That should work for you. Also I see you only have two mounting to your body mounts and not three as I stated. Hey, I had a few beers. This is basically the same design as the rubicon rails and should serve you well.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Add some tread tape and you're all set.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

i have set down on rocks plenty of times on my rubi rails... the body mounts are just fine unless you plan to baja of a twenty foot cliff and land directly on them

Quick Reply: Custom rock rails redone