Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Custom rock rails redone

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom rock rails redone

So, I took the rock rails I made a couple of months ago off, added some support, and "skinned" them. I took some leftover sheet metal I had laying around and covered the top of the rails so I have somewhere to put my foot when I have the doors off and don't have to worry about taking a rock to the bottom of my foot from the tire.

This is what I originally made and many of you told me to add braces between the round and square tubing.

So I added some 3/16" plate braces.

Then I welded on some leftover sheet metal, ground it smooth and sprayed on some DIY bed liner.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should hold up a whole lot better
Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

do those bolt to frame? if not that should be your next upgrade unless you dont plan on using them.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White Widow
do those bolt to frame? if not that should be your next upgrade unless you dont plan on using them.
I think all Rubi Rock rails bolt to the frame don't they? Don't quote me on that cause I have no idea.

Great work on those man!!! I think they look fantastic! If you want to come do mine... I would let you.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

ya the rubi rock rails mount on the body and body mounts.

his version looks good but what about real protection when it comes down to it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

The body mounted rubi rails and enhanced rubi rails hold up just fine. Bomb proof? No. Personally, I have come down very hard on a rubi rail with no evidence of impact. You see very few pics of damaged rubi rails on this site.
It's a bit silly to imply that these are useless if not mounted to the frame.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubi rails are 3 bolts to the frame and 6 to the body each side.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SONIC
He b uilt them from scratch if i remember correctly no rubi rails
Rubi rails bolt to the body if i remember correctly. Maybe 2 frame mount points?

Those look good man!
I did build these from scratch. The first pic above was what I made a couple of months ago. I finally got some time to take them off and get them done. I mounted the rails to the body with 4 bolts and also used 2 body mounts. They are pretty solid. I can't see them ever going anywhere and I made them out of some pretty think steel. If I do anything I'll put a mount to the 3rd body mount, but I'll probably just run them like they are until I get the money to do some serious wheeling.

If anyone want's a set I'll make them with 3 body mount braces and all 6 body panel bolts. I've thought about frame mounting, but this is easier and I can't see them going anywhere. Also, they are less bulky under the Jeep when made this way.

Here is a pic of the front body mount that I used. I also used the middle body mount and 4 bolts to the body itself.

Last edited by Crazyboattower; 01-27-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just because I'd like to see it, does anyone have pics of how the rubi rails mount to the body mounts?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

last time i checked body mounts were made to be somewhat flexible. dont get me wrong they look great but i smashed my stocker rockers into the body and they pretty much mount the same as yours.

Quick Reply: Custom rock rails redone