Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Custom Fab Jerry Can mount for 08 JK Sahara with Stock Bumper

Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got the weight in the right place but the tailgate is rated (from the factory) at 45lbs. So an inevitable failure is coming. But.....have you considered an additional gusset from the tire carrier mount to the back side of the can, an L shaped bracket if you will to keep the top portion of the can from having any sway.

Keep up the innovation!

I see you posted a picture of the tj hinges and this is important. The tj has a kit from kentrol that is much heavier duty than stock. If they release a kit for the Jk then you would be golden.

Is it just me or does your spare have some lean to it in post 12, pic 4? It could be an optical illusion but I don't want to ignore a problem if you can catch it early.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 AM
JK Newbie

Where did u find the tailgate rating info? Is that 45 lbs per bracket, over all? Also yea my tire carrier is slightly cracked. It's still structurally intact but that's where the lean is coming from
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Ronjenx posted the 45lbs spec right out of the manual. It's 45lbs for the entire tailgate which we know is less than a spare tire in some cases.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Ronjenx posted the 45lbs spec right out of the manual. It's 45lbs for the entire tailgate which we know is less than a spare tire in some cases.

This is from the Owner's Manual:

"NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross
weight of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare
tire."

The weight limit applies to the spare tire carrier. The gas can in this thread, mounted to the hinge, doesn't really count.
Additionally, being mounted near the hinge line, it's effect on the tail gate is minimized.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 PM
JK Junkie

If memory serves, gasoline is 5 pounds per gallon

I just added a traditional Gerry can 5 gallon gas carrier

So that is roughly 30 pounds if you include the gas can, more if you include the Ace hardware rear tire carrier accessory holder

They make a different one that just carries a hi lift jack

I guess they really tried to put a uh lift and the gas on one carrier bracket but there wasn't enough room...

I keep looking at it and wanting to squeeze in a real shovel, nothing fancy but something more than my folding shovels!

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Matthew,

let me ponder the shovel idea. My immediate thought would be to come off the actual bracket under the Jerr Can holder. This set up has its greatest strength front to back so adding some sort of holder for a shovel would not really impact the mount at all. Hmm
Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Cool idea, although if I was " testing " it I would have used water instead of gas. I failure with gas would be scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Custom Fab Jerry Can mount for 08 JK Sahara with Stock Bumper