Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

custom built bumper question....

Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom built bumper question....

I have a buddy who runs a metal fab shop, my question is should I buy a winch to design a mid width bumper around? I want my winch sunk into my front bumper but wasn't for sure if there is a standand bolt pattern for winches. I haven't zeroed n on a winch but I have a design for the bumper. Also is is best to sink winch into bumper or just easier to mount on top? Any help will b fine. Thanks a mill!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Winch recessed or exposed on top is mostly a cosmetic issue. (Some will say up on top blocks airflow to radiator so may present cooling issue.)

Many winches use a standard footprint for the bolts, but the winch body may be offset differently. I would suggest picking a winch and then getting mounting specs from the manufacturer even if you don't order the winch now. Then you can design the bumper around it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Big: I understand what ur sayin but, how durable is 3/16 steel with impact if I happen to rear end someone? Will the winch survive impact? I know speed and design of bumper can come into play. Or is that just a risk I have take with a recessed winch?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Good deal! Thanks for answers. I'm still up for options but, with all the builds with 3/16 I've seen on here I think I'm sold with the recessed. Now just to find a wayvto make it fit, ohh yea and find a winch!!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks dirtman, how much of a headache was ur intake mod? Did u use 3" hole saw for all ur holes or did u use a knock out set right in front of windshield? Anything to help prevent rust there?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I seen ur tread that's why I was askin. Nice job. Have I nice vacation!

Quick Reply: custom built bumper question....