Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Custom Alignment specs

Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Alignment specs

Hey JKF
I think I finally got rid of my DW by using some caster bolts...I was only able to push about 4.9 on driver and 5.0 on passenger...I want to add the adjustable arms and push it more to about 6.5-8 deg of caster...does anyone have any input on this...is that too much caster? Thanks Alec
Old 04-06-2015, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Going from stock 4.2 caster to 4.9 cured your deathwobble?

6.5 degrees is probably too much caster for a stock housing, 8 degrees is definitely too much. As the caster increases, the pinion points further down, the driveshaft joints run at steeper angles, and you get vibes. Vibes that will probably destroy the joints, or in several previous threads, took out the transfer case. If you want to run that much caster, look at cutting/turning, a $1450 Spyntec kit, or one of the $2000 aftermarket 44 housings

Also, if you are adding adjustable arms, you will probably want to remove the cams and either weld up those holes or buy a 'cam eliminator' kit (think it's just thick washers...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-06-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Going from stock 4.2 caster to 4.9 cured your deathwobble?

6.5 - 8 degrees is too much caster for a stock housing. As the caster increases, the pinion points further down, the driveshaft joints run at steeper angles, and you get vibes. Vibes that will probably destroy the joints, or in several previous threads, took out the transfer case. If you want to run that much caster, look at cutting/turning, a $1450 Spyntec kit, or one of the $2000 aftermarket 44 housings

Also, if you are adding adjustable arms, you will probably want to remove the cams and either weld up those holes or buy a 'cam eliminator' kit (think it's just thick washers...)
in addition with some other parts yes...but after every part i drove and still had it...the alignment was pushed out and haven't had it since...what is a safe amount of caster to run...yes im going to get rid of the bolts and weld the tabs back....Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

5 degrees seems to be a good compromise between caster and pinion angles. Just depends. You will find a few people running higher, but not all that many. (I am running at 7 degrees, but I have a caster corrected housing...) Try it and see what you think. My guess is that you will feel the vibes and back it down. Or just second guess it, get scared of blowing the tcase, and back it down.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

5 degrees seems to be a good compromise between caster and pinion angles. Just depends. You will find a few people running higher, but not all that many. (I am running at 7 degrees, but I have a caster corrected housing...) Try it and see what you think. My guess is that you will feel the vibes and back it down. Or just second guess it, get scared of blowing the tcase, and back it down.
Ok thanks...at the moment I am 2wd....heres a ?....if i have both upper and lower adjustable arms...will pushing both arms out cause a pinion angle change? is that the wrong way of doing it?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Are you talking about lengthening all four arms to extend the wheelbase? Or just tiling the housing for caster/pinion?

For caster/pinion, extending both lower arms will lower the pinion and raise the caster. And shortening both upper arms will do the same thing. (or do it backwards to raise the pinion and lower the caster) Which you go with just depends on the current axle centering.

If it is centered forward/backward in the wheel well, and the bumpstop pads are aligned, most people will say to adjust the uppers to set the caster/pinion. (but, adding or removing a single degree of caster will make a negligible difference in wheelbase/centering, so I don't think it really matter which you choose)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Are you talking about lengthening all four arms to extend the wheelbase? Or just tiling the housing for caster/pinion?

For caster/pinion, extending both lower arms will lower the pinion and raise the caster. And shortening both upper arms will do the same thing. (or do it backwards to raise the pinion and lower the caster) Which you go with just depends on the current axle centering.

If it is centered forward/backward in the wheel well, and the bumpstop pads are aligned, most people will say to adjust the uppers to set the caster/pinion. (but, adding or removing a single degree of caster will make a negligible difference in wheelbase/centering, so I don't think it really matter which you choose)
ok I understand that....
yea extending the wheelbase...
Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 AM
JK Junkie

How much lift ?
As mentioned 5-6° is pushing the limit of your driveshaft angle if lifted. Stock .. You should be ok.

Extending both adjust wheelbase. Uppers/lowers only caster/pinion.
Lowers have more affect on pinion/caster because of mount location closer to the axle tube.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
How much lift ?
As mentioned 5-6° is pushing the limit of your driveshaft angle if lifted. Stock .. You should be ok.

Extending both adjust wheelbase. Uppers/lowers only caster/pinion.
Lowers have more affect on pinion/caster because of mount location closer to the axle tube.
Ok, I am 2wd tho so it should be much of an issue right?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blowermax
Hey JKF
I think I finally got rid of my DW by using some caster bolts...I was only able to push about 4.9 on driver and 5.0 on passenger...I want to add the adjustable arms and push it more to about 6.5-8 deg of caster...does anyone have any input on this...is that too much caster? Thanks Alec
Think you'll want to keep closer to stock caster even with the lift. 6.5-8 is a lot, like a lot of others have said. I'm only at 3" lift but run 4.5 passenger and 4.8 driver (having the lil difference helps keep wheel centered on the freeway). I haven't had any problems and with 35's still manages to drive straight down the road. Just make sure you're torquing every bolt back down to recommended torque (especially double check this if you're having a shop do it). I have a horror story about synergy drag link and lower control arm pinch bolts being lose after a shop touched my Jeep and sent me down the road, but that's for another day.

I'm no rocket scientist but I still say 6 deg is way too much and you'll start having drive line issues if that's where set it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Custom Alignment specs