Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie versus Teraflex arm install issues

Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
Curries post has some errors

write up says

25. With the gold adjustable Johnny Joint end oriented towards the axle mount and with the zerk nipples pointing up and the bend in the arm pointing inward, install your new Currie Rock Jock adjustable front lower control arm onto the frame

photo shows gold johnny joint at the frame mount

when i googled for proper install i saw the verbage - so that's how i installed - but evidently the photo is the correct way.

yeh - i'm with you - i don't know why the tape is on the nut? i was able to get the bolt through on the drivers side without drilling out a 1/2 hole, but think it may be helpfull to drill out on passenger side to make it easier to get the bolt in since the approach is from frame side. especially since jeep engineers put the hole in the frame off center to bolt hole. antoher JK engineering marvel!
I know that the upper and lower are mounted differently. One of them has the adjustable end on the axle, and the other mounts with the adjustable end at the frame.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Hmmm, this thread seems to be serving as troll paper. The point is it's a lot of weekend wrench turners keeping these guys in business. We enjoy doing it and are not without skills. BUT, when we shell out our hard earned bucks (and in Currie's case a bunch of hard earned bucks) these pieces should come with instructions. We shouldn't have to waste an extra hour or two of our precious weekend to PM, research or call customer service for something that could be explained on a piece of paper. I've done several write ups on major quality mods (unlike the trolls here trying to stir up some sh!t) because the while the manufacturer does put out a great product, they can't write instructions to save their lives.

With the bucks we are sending off to them, we shouldn't have to spend even more (time=$$$) because the company won't provide instructions with the product. If you want an example of a great product that has great instructions, check out Tuffy.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess your going to over look the homework part and slam Currie, who's the real troll?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Am I the only one who caught this direction?

1. Read the complete instruction manual before starting installation.
I would think that you should make sure you know of all steps prior to even touching the first bolt. I know when I get these instructions I will go out and look at every step, and look at the Jeep to make sure before I start I know what I am doing.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon

I would think that you should make sure you know of all steps prior to even touching the first bolt. I know when I get these instructions I will go out and look at every step, and look at the Jeep to make sure before I start I know what I am doing.
Now that's what I call homework, not "Troll Paper" whatever that means?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Junkie

It's an excellent idea to read the complete manual.... when one is provided. When it is written by someone who is not so familiar with their product that they assume everyone else knows their product inside and out (Rock Hard.) Or just throw a few pictures and partial instructions on a piece of paper to get it out the door (Kilby.)

On the day the Currie (front and rear) arms went in, a D44 axle, an OME 2" lift and JE Reel drive shafts were also installed. AT that point, I had received some of the first Currie arms to hit the street and there was as yet nothing on their website. Quite a bit of study and prep happened before I started wrenching that day. A bit of paper in the control arm boxes would have saved me some time.

Now I'm sure you and Currie are going to be very happy together and I congratulate you on the wedding, but it'd be good to see you do some write ups and show your stuff before you begin criticizing other members of the forum.

BTW other than the lack of instructions concerning the arms, Currie needs no defense.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Default if you can read

if you can read - there were no instructions, not in the box, on the box, nor were labels on arms to show proper install of the front lowers.

jk-forum project write up is wrong. it states to install lower front Johnny at the axle.

Currie instructions on website are not clear which way to mount the front lower arms - since both ways the angle is in towards the frame.

because of this - when i uninstalled and re-installed for 2nd time, and when tire rubbed on arm - it must be installed wrong AGAIN.

the purpose of this write up is to inform others so they do not have to suffer through this learning curve, because CLEAR and CORRECT instructions, or $.01 label was not on the arm.

if you do not have anything constructive to add go write on facebook.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

if you can read - there were no instructions, not in the box, on the box, nor were labels on arms to show proper install of the front lowers.

jk-forum project write up is wrong. it states to install lower front Johnny at the axle.

Currie instructions on website are not clear which way to mount the front lower arms - since both ways the angle is in towards the frame.

because of this - when i uninstalled and re-installed for 2nd time, and when tire rubbed on arm - it must be installed wrong AGAIN.

the purpose of this write up is to inform others so they do not have to suffer through this learning curve, because CLEAR and CORRECT instructions, or $.01 label was not on the arm.

if you do not have anything constructive to add go write on facebook.
I guess my main question is if you knew there were no instructions in the box, and you didn't understand the instructions online or in the several write ups on this lift why would you start on the arms before contacting them and making sure? I know whenever I get something for my Jeep the first thing I ever do is look in the box for instructions. I am not trying to bash anyone, but this is the most constructive criticsm I can give any time you are doing anything on your vehicle is to read any instructions you can find prior to touching the bolt, and read them litterally and ask any questions before begining to wrench. In no ways did I ever bash anyone, or say anything personal about anyone. All I said was to make sure you know what you have instructions and you understand them before you begin, or ask your questions to the manufacturer before you begin. I have been in the same situation as you before and learned my lesson in the past.

Last edited by Littlejon; 10-22-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ins...7InstSheet.pdf

Step #25. Remove the front control arms and replace them with the new arms included in the kit using the
factory bolts. Replace one arm at a time!!!! It is necessary to cut the passenger side upper control arm
bolt at the frame, new ½” bolts are supplied for replacement (may be necessary to drill out the upper
control arm mount with 1/2" drill). The lower arms measure 22-5/8" and the upper arms 18-3/4"
center to center. Make sure the grease fittings are on the same side when adjusting the arms. On the
top arms the grease fittings point down and on the lower arms the grease fitting points up. On the
lower arms the adjustable end goes on the frame. Do not tighten bolts at this time.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Default David@currie

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ins...7InstSheet.pdf

Step #25. Remove the front control arms and replace them with the new arms included in the kit using the
factory bolts. Replace one arm at a time!!!! It is necessary to cut the passenger side upper control arm
bolt at the frame, new ½” bolts are supplied for replacement (may be necessary to drill out the upper
control arm mount with 1/2" drill). The lower arms measure 22-5/8" and the upper arms 18-3/4"
center to center. Make sure the grease fittings are on the same side when adjusting the arms. On the
top arms the grease fittings point down and on the lower arms the grease fitting points up. On the
lower arms the adjustable end goes on the frame. Do not tighten bolts at this time.
i've read this - but when the johnny joint is attached to the frame - there's a bend in the arm that can be installed 2 different ways that is not addressed in this write up!

that's why passenger/driver this side up should be labeled on these lower control arms!

something like this would be helpful

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/albu...pictureid=2795

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.p...=32262&cat=500

Last edited by 69thunderbird; 10-22-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Currie versus Teraflex arm install issues