Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie versus Teraflex arm install issues

Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currie versus Teraflex arm install issues

Just installed Teraflex rear upper and lowers and in process of install on Currie front upper and lowers.

Good thing about Teraflex is that they label arms passenger/driver and provide directions. Currie you are on your own - and found out after searching internet that i installed the Currie lowers backward.

another note about installing uppers is jeep engineers designed so you need to cut the bolt since the catalytic converter prevents removal. will need to borrow a grinder with cutoff wheel since it's a hardened bolt. also need to install new bolt through the frame - which should be interesting since one slip and it will disappear into the abyss.

anyone have any tricks?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
Just installed Teraflex rear upper and lowers and in process of install on Currie front upper and lowers.

Good thing about Teraflex is that they label arms passenger/driver and provide directions. Currie you are on your own - and found out after searching internet that i installed the Currie lowers backward.

another note about installing uppers is jeep engineers designed so you need to cut the bolt since the catalytic converter prevents removal. will need to borrow a grinder with cutoff wheel since it's a hardened bolt. also need to install new bolt through the frame - which should be interesting since one slip and it will disappear into the abyss.

anyone have any tricks?

not sure what the big deal is. Everyone has to cut the bolt off, you can easily get the bolt out at the bottom of the frame.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Former Vendor

I'm sorry you had issues installing the arms, we have complete installation instructions of our lift kit on the web site. We do not have individual instructions for the arms. In the future just send me a PM with any questions.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ins...7InstSheet.pdf

Currie Lift install on Project-JK
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at the bends on the stock arms and put the matching bent Currie arm on.
I think I recall that bolt in question. I cut it off with a sawzall. What I did for the install was use a couple folds of heavy plastic (like the bag the arms came in) and put it over my closed-end wrench, insert the nut nice and tight on the wrench to keep it from slipping out. (That's a trick Brett Woods taught me!)
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem Dave@Currie is we usually don't realize we're in a bind while installing your control arms until we get the JK apart. By then it's a crap shoot as to whether you're going to answer a PM so we can get our daily driver back together in time to get to work or the trails. I installed mine backwards the first time as well and had to yank and reverse them. On the bright side they're quality pieces of work and if I did it over again I'd still go with the Curries.

Cutting and replacing that bolt is not as tough a task as it first looks. I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

A piece of tape over one side pf the box end wrench also works well. Masking tape is okay, but I recommend (of course) duct tape.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know I'm the noob here but...
I installed Currie upper and lower control arms, springs, and basically a full Rockjock suspension and I did my homework!
The boxes they come in are CLEARLY LABELED, and all you gotta do is take notes of the setup before you pull it apart, it's really really obvious how they go on.
Why wait for a pm?
When all you have to do is pick up the phone, Curries' customer service is seconed to none.
Chris down there rocks, if he didn't know the answer right of the bat he got the answer for me before we hung up the phone.
And no one I mean no one sells better control arms than Currie, Johnny Joints give me a break they are the sweetest.
Before you post slightly slamming someone on a message board, do your fn' home work, especially if it's you "Daily Driver"!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Default thanks

Originally Posted by seer1
The problem Dave@Currie is we usually don't realize we're in a bind while installing your control arms until we get the JK apart. By then it's a crap shoot as to whether you're going to answer a PM so we can get our daily driver back together in time to get to work or the trails. I installed mine backwards the first time as well and had to yank and reverse them. On the bright side they're quality pieces of work and if I did it over again I'd still go with the Curries.

Cutting and replacing that bolt is not as tough a task as it first looks. I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

A piece of tape over one side pf the box end wrench also works well. Masking tape is okay, but I recommend (of course) duct tape.
[IMG][/IMG]
thanks - that's exactly what happened - the teraflex had instructions in box and label on the arm. tried using a saw saw and wore out 3 blades on the hardened bolt. getting an angle grinder today.

i assumeed there would be instructions "that clearly stated" proper install on the curries but there was nothing - it was on a weekend - currie was closed - no access to a computer and had already started tearing down so took a best guess at how to install.

a simple peice of paper in on the box, or sticker on the arms (teraflex had both) would have prevented all this.

it's not a slam on the product - i would like to think of it as constructive criticism and a little venting because i (and others) have to spend another couple hours unistalling and re-installing something that could easiliy be prevented by the manaufacturer.

as far as the bolt goes - old school engineers who used to design cars on paper never would have put the cat in a location that you must cut a bolt to remove. engineers today who have cat/catia software that can push a button to find design flaws/conflicts push their laziness onto the consumer.

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Default tape

i'm planning on using fishing line and pushing the bolt through the frame with a deep socket?

where is the write up you are looking at?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
I'm sorry you had issues installing the arms, we have complete installation instructions of our lift kit on the web site. We do not have individual instructions for the arms. In the future just send me a PM with any questions.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ins...7InstSheet.pdf

hi Dave - write up says

25. With the gold adjustable Johnny Joint end oriented towards the axle mount and with the zerk nipples pointing up and the bend in the arm pointing inward, install your new Currie Rock Jock adjustable front lower control arm onto the frame

photo shows gold johnny joint at the frame mount

i assume the photo is correct?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RuBob
from Currie's post above:

I don't know, I thought the nut would be easy enough to hold since the bolt will be going through the frame side. Maybe I am missing something and it will make sense when I get to it.
Curries post has some errors

write up says

25. With the gold adjustable Johnny Joint end oriented towards the axle mount and with the zerk nipples pointing up and the bend in the arm pointing inward, install your new Currie Rock Jock adjustable front lower control arm onto the frame

photo shows gold johnny joint at the frame mount

when i googled for proper install i saw the verbage - so that's how i installed - but evidently the photo is the correct way.

yeh - i'm with you - i don't know why the tape is on the nut? i was able to get the bolt through on the drivers side without drilling out a 1/2 hole, but think it may be helpfull to drill out on passenger side to make it easier to get the bolt in since the approach is from frame side. especially since jeep engineers put the hole in the frame off center to bolt hole. antoher JK engineering marvel!

Quick Reply: Currie versus Teraflex arm install issues