Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie Rock Jock III with stock knuckles?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdude3
I emailed Currie about this last month and I got this:

"If you are driving mostly on the street with some light off-roading, then the small knuckle front-end would be fine. If you do a lot of harder-core driving, then I would go with the 1 ton unit. A 37” tire with a small knuckle front-end is marginal. You would have to be very careful in order to not break the outer u-joints. With the 1 ton front, you don’t have to worry about it."

I think I will go with the PR44 in the future...look at it this way, the ATX JK EVO built ran the JK experience with the PR44 front, RCV shafts, 5.13, ARB with 40's and I believe they didnt break anything. The ATX JK is featured in the March 2011 issue of 4 Wheel Drive.
I really like the PR44, but if I can get a completed, bolt on D60 for less or the same, its going to be a tough sell.

The only reason I was thinking about using the stock outer knuckles is because it will keep the axle almost the same width as stock so I can run my rear 44 until I get another 3K to replace it if I need to.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curiosity
I really like the PR44, but if I can get a completed, bolt on D60 for less or the same, its going to be a tough sell.

The only reason I was thinking about using the stock outer knuckles is because it will keep the axle almost the same width as stock so I can run my rear 44 until I get another 3K to replace it if I need to.
The point is, you're not getting a complete 60 for that price. You're only getting a 60 housing with axle shafts at that price. You'll be getting stock 'C's, which are not good, and re-using all your knuckles, unit bearings and brakes. You still need to add a locker, gears and and install kit to that price.

There's nothing wrong with your knuckles/etc but there is no benefit in using a heavier housing and a 60 gear set with those axles. The JK 44 gear set is a great option for your application.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
The point is, you're not getting a complete 60 for that price. You're only getting a 60 housing with axle shafts at that price. You'll be getting stock 'C's, which are not good, and re-using all your knuckles, unit bearings and brakes. You still need to add a locker, gears and and install kit to that price.

There's nothing wrong with your knuckles/etc but there is no benefit in using a heavier housing and a 60 gear set with those axles. The JK 44 gear set is a great option for your application.
x2 Dynatrac, It's only putting a band-aid on a severe head injury.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac

I understand what you're saying, but I can get a full front d60 (w/ knuckles) for the same price or less than a full front pr44 (w/ knuckles). I could be missing something here, but a Currie d60 complete w/ 1 ton knuckles (not using stock knuckles) is only gonna cost me around 5K, where a pr44 will cost me just a couple hundred less (maybe).

Don't get me wrong... i'm not dead set on the RJ3, and the pr44 is definitely still in the running simply because of dynatracs outstanding reputation. I'm just trying to get a better understanding on which track will be better for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Where did you find a complete RJ for that price?

On their site, it is $4995 +
Additional parts needed to complete this unit are a high pinion Dana 60 ring and pinion gear set, Dana 60 35 spline carrier of your choice, and a bearing & set up kit.
And then add the cost of new rims and or wheel adapters for the new bolt pattern.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Where did you find a complete RJ for that price?

On their site, it is $4995 +

And then add the cost of new rims and or wheel adapters for the new bolt pattern.
yup yup. Currie quoted me with the 5.38, ARB, ready to rock shipped at $6,919.75. I think that also included the lock out hubs....
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I think that also included the lock out hubs....
I wish that was an option on the PR44 without having to go 'custom' and jacking the price up...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish that was an option on the PR44 without having to go 'custom' and jacking the price up...
Isnt the Spintech kit the only one or does Dyna make one?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Dyna can custom make the pr44 with d60 ends and manual hubs. But yes, the solid spyntech kit is the only JK specific hub kit out there.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dyna can custom make the pr44 with d60 ends and manual hubs. But yes, the solid spyntech kit is the only JK specific hub kit out there.
x2
I thought about doing something like that PR44 with 60 outers but after talking to Mel at ORE it isn't cost effective to do that...better to go 60's if you need the outers.

Quick Reply: Currie Rock Jock III with stock knuckles?