Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie rock jock dana 60? or sleeve,gusset,regear stock dana 44??

Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currie rock jock dana 60? or sleeve,gusset,regear stock dana 44??

Hi everyone, i just traded my truck in on a 2015 jeep rubicon last week and im looking for some help on what to do for axles. I plan on starting out with 37's and moving up to 40's eventually to save a little on rubber and ram assist. My original idea was to take my brand new d44's off and sell them to put towards some currie rock jocks with alloy shafts,Ctm u joints,arb or yukon lockers and gears with upgraded brakes. But after talking to several shops in my area (Colorado) they said currie is a bad choice because of issues with bending and other problems. They recommend the dynatrac's but i cant afford 18k for axles alone as the curries were about 13k. They said im better off sleeving,gusseting,gearing my stock axles before the curries or just doing dynatrac prorock 44's. None of this made any since to me and im not made out of $$$$$ so id thought id see what you guys think. Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the price to sleeve, truss, and re-gear your stock axles? There are a lot of people that do just that and are fine while others that have done the same have had issues and breakage. Financially, it might have made more sense to start with a sport vs. rubicon if you knew you were going to replace the axles.

Last edited by Stubicon; 02-28-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stubicon
What's the price to sleeve, truss, and re-gear your stock axles? There are a lot of people that do just that and are fine while others that have done the same have had issues and breakage. Financially, it might have made more sense to start with a sport vs. rubicon if you knew you were going to replace the axles.
Thanks, i think the price is around 3k to beef up the stock axles.. I went with the rubicon because i liked the interior and the fact it already came with a 4:1 transfer case plus it was only 6k more than the sport. I think i can get around $3500 for both axles since they are new.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the new Dana Ultimate 60s. They are sweet and affordable.

That said, I'd wait until you drive the Jeep for a while and decide what you want to do in the end. If you need 40s you need to ditch the crappy stock suspension setup. In which case, you want a bare axle housing.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Check out the new Dana Ultimate 60s. They are sweet and affordable.

That said, I'd wait until you drive the Jeep for a while and decide what you want to do in the end. If you need 40s you need to ditch the crappy stock suspension setup. In which case, you want a bare axle housing.
Hey invest2m4! You replied to another thread i started titled how to build a capable jeep jk for the more difficult trails in moab. I will check out those axles. I know i want to go with a coilover suspension. I have seen two i like. The genright double triangulated 4 link and the evo pro d. Two totally different worlds but two totally different price points too.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeper52
Thanks, i think the price is around 3k to beef up the stock axles.. I went with the rubicon because i liked the interior and the fact it already came with a 4:1 transfer case plus it was only 6k more than the sport. I think i can get around $3500 for both axles since they are new.
Makes sense. I too opted for the Rubicon. Only planning on running 35s though.

My only advice would be do it once and do it right. It can get expensive to throw a lot of money at beefing up the axles, suspension, and running 37s only to sell it all and buy new axles and suspension to run 40s.

As invest said, take it out and see what it can do and go from there.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stubicon
Makes sense. I too opted for the Rubicon. Only planning on running 35s though.

My only advice would be do it once and do it right. It can get expensive to throw a lot of money at beefing up the axles, suspension, and running 37s only to sell it all and buy new axles and suspension to run 40s.

As invest said, take it out and see what it can do and go from there.

Agreed, cant afford to do it twice. I looked at those ultimate dana 60's by dana and they look pretty sweet. I like that the rear is a full float.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed, cant afford to do it twice. I looked at those ultimate dana 60's by dana and they look pretty sweet. I like that the rear is a full float.
I think Marcus from River City Off-road has them for his build. May try sending him a PM.

Last edited by Stubicon; 02-28-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Hey invest2m4! You replied to another thread i started titled how to build a capable jeep jk for the more difficult trails in moab. I will check out those axles. I know i want to go with a coilover suspension. I have seen two i like. The genright double triangulated 4 link and the evo pro d. Two totally different worlds but two totally different price points too.
I agree with invest2m4. Those Dana's are definitely worth a look. You could get the set for around 8k if im not mistaken. Also, isnt that genright suspension a full overhaul that runs about 20k when all said and done? I haven't looked in a while
Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by D_engel
I agree with invest2m4. Those Dana's are definitely worth a look. You could get the set for around 8k if im not mistaken. Also, isnt that genright suspension a full overhaul that runs about 20k when all said and done? I haven't looked in a while
The axles are pricing around $11k for a set, but I've heard dealers have quoted as low as $9900. That's an insane price for axles like that. If they were out 6 months earlier, I may have gone that route rather than building mine.

Yeah, that genright package is crazy expensive. Overpriced like everything they sell. It's not a bad design though. More suitable for high speed than crawling.

Quick Reply: Currie rock jock dana 60? or sleeve,gusset,regear stock dana 44??