Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie rear 60 vs Dynatrac Rear 60

Old 06-05-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, high pinion on both axles. The TJ had a 5" lift, and the JK has a 3" lift. The high pinion raises the pinion yoke about 3" I believe. So I have a 2 door JK that is lifted and running 37s, with a stock rear driveline angle. Combine that with locking hubs on a front Dana 60, so that the rear driveline angle is stock, and the front driveline is not turning on the highway, and you have a lifted Jeep that drives smoother, and with less vibration, than it did when it was stock.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 06-05-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pinion angle is decided by control arms...yes it may be a tad higher on a hp but now you have a d60 that r&p wise isnt as strong as it could be.. Im no engineer and cant speak on how much weaker though. Plenty of people have done hp rears, but i personally wouldnt. Unless driving in reverse where it will actually mesh together..your ring gear teeth will want to push away. Its like pulling someone out in reverse. Most cases its advised not. You are now the exception..

Last edited by Maertz; 06-05-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
.......Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't full float axles primarily designed for pickup trucks that carry a lot of weight? The additional bearing at the axle end helps support more weight. But does it do anything to prevent torsional breakage of the axle shafts? For a light weight vehicle like a Jeep (4960 lbs total, and 2400 lbs on the rear axle for my JK) I didn't think a full float axle was an absolute necessity..........Then people can really tell you that you don't need that for 37" tires.
I swapped out the hard top for the soft top on my '09 JKUR and got curious re: its weight with the soft top. Last time I'd had it on the scales was 2013, right after the long arm was installed. With the hard top it came in at 5560 lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel and my normal trail load of tools, spare parts, recovery gear, extra fluids, etc on board. Since then I'd swapped out the front housing for a Teraflex R44 and installed a Rockhard 4x4 cage. With a full tank and the aforementioned items loaded, and without the hardtop, it weighed 5680 lbs. Not sure at what point the rear D44's going to go "screw you", but it can't be far off. The Dynatrac guy I refered to earlier said 6,000 - 7,000 pounds was when the D60 full float started making sense. For me it might be easier just to lighten the poor thing up a bit. Plastic flares & aluminum sliders, too. It all adds up fast.

Last edited by SoK66; 06-05-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll also advise to NOT run a high pinion axle in the rear. I have personally blown up 2 HP 60 ring gears (in a dynatrac axle) and I have replaced 2 others. I will NEVER run a HP axle in the rear.
Why not just have a shop build you a nice 14 bolt?
or I'm in agreement with the others.
weld a truss on that 44, run warranteed shafts and hammer it. stay away from 5:38 gears as they don't have a a lot of tooth contact and are weaker than any other ratio.

Quick Reply: Currie rear 60 vs Dynatrac Rear 60