Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie rear 60 vs Dynatrac Rear 60

Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currie rear 60 vs Dynatrac Rear 60

Hopefully by Julyish I will be ordering a rear 60 for my jku. I have narrowed my choices down to currie or dynatrac. I do not have the money for a full float and dont plan on going bigger than 37s because its a DD. My question is why is the Dynatrac an extra 1500 (other than the high clearence diff). Is there something I am missing? If not it seems like its a no brainer to go Currie. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Currie?

Cost: 5100 +Tax
Dynatrac Semi Float 60
ARB
35 Spiline
1350 Yoke

Cost: 3600 +Tax
Currie Semi Float 60
ARB
35 Spiline
1350 Yoke
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dynatrac uses all USA made parts. To my knowledge many of the Currie parts are made in China. If it were me I'd go Dynatrac and never look back. I feel it is a superior product.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ringer
Dynatrac uses all USA made parts. To my knowledge many of the Currie parts are made in China. If it were me I'd go Dynatrac and never look back. I feel it is a superior product.
Thats what I have heard. Im leaning more towards dynatrac now. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt go semi float. But hey thats just me. If only 37s and on a budget why not just keep the factory D44 and upgrade shafts?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

Two comments.

1. A couple local club members on 37s went semi-float 60s end of last year. One has gone through two axle shafts, the other one axle shaft. Bent flanges, etc. Honestly, the rear JK 44 is a very solid axle. It is unlikely that you would ever have R&P issues with it. While you have a bit more strength in the 60, it isn't what you think. You can pick up a full float Ultimate Dana 60 for the same price. Use some adapters up front to get the correct bolt pattern to match.

2. I just looked at a build with a Currie and realized what I view as a couple drawbacks. The rotated diff while nice in the rocks, has a couple issues. First, it is a weaker design in terms of the case minimizing gear deflection. Blown R&P's on the RJ 60 are not all that uncommon. Second, if you run a 3 link rear or ever plan for anything using a truss, it is an ugly solution as the truss has to be removable (how else will you get the diff cover off and be able to service it). Yes, lots of people do it, but I would never trust four 1/2" bolts to hold a truss to an axle.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
I wouldnt go semi float. But hey thats just me. If only 37s and on a budget why not just keep the factory D44 and upgrade shafts?
This^. One of the Dynatrac guys told me on the QT a JK D44 housing is just fine up to about 6,500 pounds curb weight. Not many reports of failures considering the abuse they take. Swap in a quality set of shafts and go. Might consider getting the plug welds for the tubes drilled & re- welded if you see any of them cracking.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SoK66

This^. One of the Dynatrac guys told me on the QT a JK D44 housing is just fine up to about 6,500 pounds curb weight. Not many reports of failures considering the abuse they take. Swap in a quality set of shafts and go. Might consider getting the plug welds for the tubes drilled & re- welded if you see any of them cracking.
Good point here also i have seen one spin straight up on a mild climb. The plug welds are not great. I even fully welded around the edge of my housing
Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

go full float 35 spline Currie Rock Jock and get it wider to 68.5. I am very satisfied with mine on 40's never broke any parts on it.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

What a difference posting this here and "over there"
Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
What a difference posting this here and "over there"
come on man where's the love? you know eddie don't like you talking smack about his favorite stuff.

Quick Reply: Currie rear 60 vs Dynatrac Rear 60