Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Currie Front Track Bar

Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Currie Front Track Bar

Has anyone installed one of these?

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2914

Will the Johnny joint give me wobble on the street with the axle moving?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i've installed a few and they work great. they are good track bars and you will not have any issues with them.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i've installed a few and they work great. they are good track bars and you will not have any issues with them.
WOL,

How is the johnny joint on the street though? Since the joint is able to move, does that mean the axle will be walking all over the place?

Ive been told a Johnny joint will out last a poly or rubber one since it can move as where the other ones have to give at some point. Is this true?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
WOL,

How is the johnny joint on the street though? Since the joint is able to move, does that mean the axle will be walking all over the place?

Ive been told a Johnny joint will out last a poly or rubber one since it can move as where the other ones have to give at some point. Is this true?
your axle needs to move around and the joints will just allow a greater amount of bind free articulation. heck, your factory joints are made with rubber to allow the same kind of movement just not as well. the kind of rotational movement you see at the joints is NOT a problem and not something that would cause something like DW. it's a loose mount or mount that is failing that allows shifting or side to side movement that is the real problem as given enough energy, it can cause your jeep to oscillate and that can lead to DW.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

your axle needs to move around and the joints will just allow a greater amount of bind free articulation. heck, your factory joints are made with rubber to allow the same kind of movement just not as well. the kind of rotational movement you see at the joints is NOT a problem and not something that would cause something like DW. it's a loose mount or mount that is failing that allows shifting or side to side movement that is the real problem as given enough energy, it can cause your jeep to oscillate and that can lead to DW.
Thanks WOL. If this is the case how come all aftermarket trackbars don't use johnny joints, seems like the best option..
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Thanks WOL. If this is the case how come all aftermarket trackbars don't use johnny joints, seems like the best option..
a lot do or something like it (i.e. heim joint). although, the factory rubber isn't so bad either and is more durable in salt states.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi

a lot do or something like it (i.e. heim joint). although, the factory rubber isn't so bad either and is more durable in salt states.
So living in a salt state am I better off with the rubber I currently have?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
JK-Forum Founder

So living in a salt state am I better off with the rubber I currently have?
not necessarily. if you're diligent about keeping your suspension free from the rust stuff, you should be okay. rubber bushings can just take a lot more neglect and is probably why, among other things, manufacturers of vehicles like to use it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

not necessarily. if you're diligent about keeping your suspension free from the rust stuff, you should be okay. rubber bushings can just take a lot more neglect and is probably why, among other things, manufacturers of vehicles like to use it.
So as long as I grease the joint every few thousand miles I should be good? Also how do you tell when a johnny joint has gone bad.

Sorry for all the question. This is my first Jeep and first time modding.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

So as long as I grease the joint every few thousand miles I should be good? Also how do you tell when a johnny joint has gone bad.

Sorry for all the question. This is my first Jeep and first time modding.
yeah, keep it greased and keep it clean and you should be fine. you'll know when the joint is bad when it becomes sloppy. in other words, the joint should rotate freely but it should not shift around side to side or up and down. either way, that shouldn't happen for a long time.

Quick Reply: Currie Front Track Bar