Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Curious on cost?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious on cost?

Was considering axle sleeves and gussets. I know you can get a kit for ~$200. I was wondering what the going rate was for installation. A local shop in middle Ga said it would cost from $1000 to $2000 for this mod.
I just can't hardly believe that should cost that much. Was wondering what a reasonable labor cost might be if that estimate wasn't.

Is regearing at that time a good thing as well?

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRubi10
Was considering axle sleeves and gussets. I know you can get a kit for ~$200. I was wondering what the going rate was for installation. A local shop in middle Ga said it would cost from $1000 to $2000 for this mod.
I just can't hardly believe that should cost that much. Was wondering what a reasonable labor cost might be if that estimate wasn't.

Is regearing at that time a good thing as well?

Thanks for the help everyone
That shop is smoking crack!

Of course prices are very regional but as an example... I had Axles Sleeved and gusseted, installation of new front and rear gears, and skid plates installed for $1,000 Cash
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default My cost for install of sleeves and gussets

I paid a local independent shop $175.00 for the install.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

If you're up for a little drive, go to allsouth and speak with Jeremy. Tell him i sent ya lol. They have good prices
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKen
That shop is smoking crack!

Of course prices are very regional but as an example... I had Axles Sleeved and gusseted, installation of new front and rear gears, and skid plates installed for $1,000 Cash
That was my thought exactly! I assume when axles are out, rehearing at that time is a good thing?

Do both axles need sleeves and gussets or just the front? Just considering my options and planned expenses. Now I understand exactly what J.E.E.P. Stands for! Although I wouldn't do it if wasn't so much doggone fun!!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't really remember what my gussets cost me but I just got the sleeves done on saturday for 350. 2000 is ridiculous..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

One thing you might look at is outer sleeves, instead of inners. That leaves you the option of the 35sp ARB if/when your factory locker takes a dump on you.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default interesting thought

Originally Posted by nthinuf
One thing you might look at is outer sleeves, instead of inners. That leaves you the option of the 35sp ARB if/when your factory locker takes a dump on you.
There is something that I haven't thought of.
I have a pretty good grasp of the inner sleeves, but exactly how do the outer sleeves work? And is it tough to replace the locker if you have done inner sleeves?

Great info guys!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

No, the inner sleeves don't go into the middle, they are just new tubes for both sides. Remove the axles and pop the diff cover and you can get to the gears and locker same as always.

The outers are just welded on outside, with cutouts for the brackets. This is the RS-E Bombshell kit, it shows all the various items.

Inner Sleeves
Upper C Gussets
Outer Sleeves

Anyway, it was just a heads-up. There have been a few people kicking themselves for having inners and not being able to go to the 35sp ARB.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-07-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm paying 187.00 in labor to have upper & lower c gussets welded in. I think they wanted 75.00 for just uppers. The shop I use is a smaller joint, so the prices are fair.

Last edited by mjm; 02-07-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Curious on cost?