Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Curious about my front OME standard springs

Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about my front OME standard springs

My front OME standard springs seem to bow out in the middle, the passenger side especially, more than the DS. Does this seem normal? It almost seems like the spring perches are not horizontal, but nothing has changed recently, no offroading events that I can pin this on. Take a look and see what I mean:

Driver's side front spring with a straight line in the background:

Passenger side spring:

Closeness of bumpstop to ps spring inside:

Is there a problem with these springs being bowed out this way? The ride is fine, and there are no other issues I am dealing with, just the looks of these...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

It seems that your axle shifted to one side because you did not replace trackbars when you added lift.

Add adj/longer trackbar for the front and rear trackbar bracket/brace. rear Its explained in the FAQ

Last edited by CrazyShadow; 03-27-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CrazyShadow
It seems that your axle shifted to one side because you did not replace trackbars when you added lift.

Add adj/longer trackbar for the front and rear trackbar bracket/brace. rear Its explained in the FAQ
Crazy, read my signature.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on changing out the trackbars.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the axle is centered perfectly with the jks bars????

I've noticed two situations on mine that bow the springs... One is off center axle, and two has to do with caster angle. Don't forget as u raise caster that bottom spring perch angle will change.

Mine don't look like that...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah... and both springs are bending inward.. not both to the left, or both to the right.. Pretty sure that it's not a track bar issue...

If I remember right, mine sorta did that at 1st, but then I discovered that they can be twisted to seat better.. Dunno.. maybe these are seated properly.. but that's my best guess....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Looked at mine OME springs that installed about 3 weeks ago. Kinda look the same but not as bad as yours. I checked to make sure they are seated right, so maybe that is the way the taller springs are? It also could be that you have the standard springs and I have the HD springs.

Last edited by GunDude; 03-27-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

I appreciate all the responses from those who bother to read past the first line of the thread.

It seems that some experience the same thing as me to some extent, some not.

I can assure you that the axle is perfectly centered, I checked it again yesterday. The thing about that is, shifting the axle either way is only going to make the bow worse on the opposite side, since they both bow outward. I can't see how the caster affects this, as they are bowed outward, not to the front or back. The only possibilities seem to be if the standard suspension springs are not up to the task, and I need the next step up, or that these springs are defective. I have an email in to ARB/OME to get their take on this. I will go with their recommendation.

I also plan to try re-seating the springs, or maybe even swapping sides to see if that makes a difference. If the DS spring is more bowed than the PS after swapping sides, to me that will mean the spring is less capable of handling the load than the other one. If the PS is more bowed than the DS after the swap, something on that side is heavier, and heavier springs are probably on the horizon for ol' Rubi.

Again, thanks for the input from those who have OME springs, it is very helpful.

Gary
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
Yeah... and both springs are bending inward.. not both to the left, or both to the right.. Pretty sure that it's not a track bar issue...

If I remember right, mine sorta did that at 1st, but then I discovered that they can be twisted to seat better.. Dunno.. maybe these are seated properly.. but that's my best guess....
Not sure how they can be 'twisted to seat better' as the lower end of the spring sits up against a stop in the spring perch. That doesn't give you any room for adjustment. The rear, though, is a different story.

On a related note, those who might think I am off my rocker calling this a OME suspension, but see a Teraflex bump stop, I kept those in when I changed to OME from a TF BB...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Update: After communicating with David @ Northridge, where I got the OME setup, I emailed ARB USA/OME and contacted Marc. After several emails and photos, Marc sent me a set of replacement front springs. I am going to take the front suspension apart this weekend and check out the spring perches, top and bottom, and see if anything looks out of whack. If nothing looks weird, I will install the new springs and see if that solves the issue. Kudos to Marc @ ARB USA, he didn't have to send me anything, but he did, in an effort to help me solve this. I wouldn't hesitate to get anything from ARB/OME again, they really know what customer service means.

Quick Reply: Curious about my front OME standard springs