Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CTM u joint with alloy c.m on a rubi ?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTM u joint with alloy c.m on a rubi ?

Will these put extra pressure on the front gears/part most likely to break (weak link). have not installed these yet/ thinking about using them as a spare if i break the stock axle. until I get some 60s (next year)
Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john531
Will these put extra pressure on the front gears/part most likely to break (weak link). have not installed these yet/ thinking about using them as a spare if i break the stock axle. until I get some 60s (next year)
I was there when possibly the only chromoly shaft with a CTM joint broke. The diff held up just fine. That's a fairly pricey spare though.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
That's a fairly pricey spare though.
X2. In fact, "fairly pricey" is an understatement! You can probably buy enough spares for the life of the Jeep for 1 CTM u-joint! Unless, of course, the idea is to not ever worry about a u-joint again. Then the CTM needs to be where it will do the most good - installed. If you are worried about breaking weak link in your stock drive train AND you are going to upgrade to D60's later, what better way to hurry that process along??

2 cents.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the reply. was thinking of going with 37s and 60s during the winter. so it would be a spare until i sell it with the 44s, thinking that the stock u joint would be the easiest fix.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the alloy cm axles use the big joints as it is and you will be fine with them. trust me, i've broken an alloy front shaft and it didn't even come close to breaking at the joint but rather, at the shaft just above the splines.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
5.13 gears are strong when properly installed.

Also, the Spicer Large 760x u-joint for the JK is strong.

Below is a thread where a chromoly D44 front shaft broke due to a spin and sudden traction.

The with a ton of hard wheeling miles on 37s, with a big heavy 4 dr, the gears and Spicer u-joints survivived...although the shaft break damaged the carrier bearing, locker, and axle seal.

Still, if WOL can get that many hard miles on 37s out of his D44 with chromoly shafts and Spicer large u-joints, there appears to be little reason to go with CTMs--or maybe even D60s--unless you are regularly doing hard spin and sudden traction type of wheeling on a regular basis.

The money saved on the Spicers vs the CTMs would cover a portion of the cost of a new axle seal and locker.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...k+u-joint+axle

edit:

Dang, he just beat me to it:

Planman,
I believe the ujoints on a d44 JK are NOT 760's there actually modified 1410's.

Spent 2 hours last summer during the Trail Jamboree here in WA at Yakama drive lines trying to figure out what the u-joints are and they measured the same as a 1410 but with the clips on the inside instead of the outside.

Kat
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

already have the ctms pressed ready to install, sounds like i should of went with the spicers and used the money elsewere.

Quick Reply: CTM u joint with alloy c.m on a rubi ?