Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

crush sleeve question

Old 11-03-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin

May I suggest installing the pinion with the correct shims and new bearings pressed on once more BEFORE the final install with the crush sleeve? I had an instance once where the original bearings had just enough wear in them that when I used them for setup and got the "correct" amount of shims on there and when I pressed the new bearings on and installed the whole getup with the crush sleeve it was slightly off and I had to change the shimming, thus wasting a crush sleeve. Now, just for the hell of it, I make one last dry run at it after the new bearings are pressed on. Just to make sure. It's a pain in the ass, but can save your ass if you don't have an extra crush sleeve.
That's a good idea as well. I have a new bearing just for a set up bearing that has no wear. So I could see where a really worn bearing could mess you up.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sorry to high jack but how many inch pounds do you torque for a NEW crush sleeve
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the write up ( https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/ ), you continue to crank down on the crush sleeve (up to 400 ft/lb, if not more) until it takes 20-40 inch/lbs to rotate the pinion. As I understand it, the important number is not how much force it takes to crush the sleeve, it's how much force does it take to turn the pinion.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lbgbandit
im a bit confused as to the proper function of a crush sleeve....does it eliminate the need for shims? my rational for that question is that its "crushed" to the proper torque if you will making it the proper size....
Not to sound douchy as we are here to help but if I had to ask this question I would not recommend doing ring and pinions + lockers on my own. I know we all have to learn but doing a complete diff rebuild requires a good amount of knowledge and tools that you may or may not have to correctly setup and IMO is not a good place to start. One little micro screw up on a diff and you can kiss your investment of parts goodbye.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I watched several videos on doing diffs, really doesn't look hard, its just fallowing a process and triple checking your work. I'll be attempting my own with no prior experience with a diff. I've rebuilt engines and worked on smaller scale things where accuracy is critical. I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking into doing the work themselves. Just paying a shop to do it doesn't mean it will get done any better, hence why I like to do my own work. If you have some mechanical knowledge and understand what is happening in the walk through videos, I say go for it!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Duh
JK Newbie

Ive done quite a few r/p on other vehicles, but be very careful once you get the sleeve crushed. A quarter turn on the wrench could send you 2 NM more than you want and you're screwed. Crush sleeves are only 4$, get an extra one juat in case.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDuff
I watched several videos on doing diffs, really doesn't look hard, its just fallowing a process and triple checking your work. I'll be attempting my own with no prior experience with a diff. I've rebuilt engines and worked on smaller scale things where accuracy is critical. I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking into doing the work themselves. Just paying a shop to do it doesn't mean it will get done any better, hence why I like to do my own work. If you have some mechanical knowledge and understand what is happening in the walk through videos, I say go for it!
I'm not saying it can't be done and not trying to discourage at all. I am a big believer in DIY as well and hate the thought of anyone working on something I personally own other than myself. I just think if you have to ask a question about what the function of a crush sleeve is then you are already in over your head.
I would hate to see the op spend the money on gears, rebuild kits, and lockers only to "think" it's right and take off down the road to find out otherwise.
In my opinion I would rather pay an experienced tech that does this kind of work daily rather than trying to buy all of the tools (micrometer, dial indicator, pullers, pinion, ring, and carrier sockets, etc) needed to do the job right if I didn't have them already than do it myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDuff
I have to say,
A man just wont learn how to do something until he does it himself a few times. then finds how rewarding it is to be able to do what most wont. I learned most of my younger mechanical skills the hard way ( shear panic and screwedom on the side of the road or on the trail ) He's asking the right questions and getting good answers.

I cant help but think that between this forum, and many others, plus google, "AND" if he has the right tools ( or ones he can make work ) ya got a pretty good shot at doing okay! "AND" if you have some one who "REALLY" knows how to make it go, and go good for a few beer and pizza, what ever,, That can let you know when your about to f_ck it up! ,,,, Priceless .

I hope it came out good.

My two cents.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Not to sound douchy as we are here to help but if I had to ask this question I would not recommend doing ring and pinions + lockers on my own. I know we all have to learn but doing a complete diff rebuild requires a good amount of knowledge and tools that you may or may not have to correctly setup and IMO is not a good place to start. One little micro screw up on a diff and you can kiss your investment of parts goodbye.
Umh, I would also like NOT to sound douchy, but if you read what OP said, he clearly stated:

"im researching as much as i can to see if my mechanical abilities are capable of installing arb lockers and new ring and pinions in my x"

He is researching. Not setting up gears as we speak.

He is doing the right thing.

Quick Reply: crush sleeve question