Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Crown Automotive Tie Rod Kit - Quality?

Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crown Automotive Tie Rod Kit - Quality?

Hey Everyone,

How does the crown automotive tie rod kit compare in quality to the mopar factory tie rod? Is it the same diameter tube? (want to know if my synergy clamp for the factory will swap over).
http://www.extremeterrain.com/crown-...it-0713jk.html

Thanks!

Update: See below for install and thoughts.

Last edited by boon4376; 01-15-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I bought it, so we shall see...
Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default subscribed

let us know ? Are you gonna have it re aligned after or just see how it drives self adjusted ? Id like to replace mine with a upgraded in the spring / the synergy one looks great but 300 + I some times put my stock tires on and im not gonna add spacers so ive kept the factory one . synergy runs pretty tight I guess
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the same tie rod iirc.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Synergy is Pricey, but worth it if you're going to play on rocks. Front end is stiffer also. Stock one must flex some.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

It was my understanding that Crown stuff was the Jeep brand stuff, but w/o the MOPAR or JEEP name on it. It could be lower quality metals, etc but I do not know. If you look on quadratec's website a lot of the crown stuff as the exact same manufacturers part number and the MOPAR stuff.

Again, I do not know, but it was my understanding that they are the same.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The adjustment sleeve is different, so im not sure what the similarities are to mopar. Mopar costs twice as much. The mopar one is a wet noodle, I figure this crown one can't be much worse.

I have the Ruff Stuff JK Tie rod Kit that was only ~$130 for super beefy rod + 1-ton GM TRE's... but i screwed up when i ordered my new wheels, got the wrong offset, and the TRE's rub the wheel ... So mad. For the time being, I've added an inch to my steering stops just so I can get to work and back... Hard to park tho!

I ruined my factory TRE's pulling the factory bar off, so I need something to hold me over until I can afford to replace the wheels and sell these wrong-offset ones. I wouldnt buy this expecting it to last 10 years, but i can deal with it lasting 1 for the price.

I'll be installing it myself, so I'll follow up with a post about the quality and my initial thoughts. I'll also take a pic to compare it to the mopar and the ruff stuff kits. I'll do an initial alignment myself, but I'll ultimately have a shop fine tune it shortly after.

Last edited by boon4376; 01-13-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by boon4376
Hey Everyone,

How does the crown automotive tie rod kit compare in quality to the mopar factory tie rod? Is it the same diameter tube? (want to know if my synergy clamp for the factory will swap over).
Crown Automotive Replacement Wrangler Tie Rod Kit 52060052K (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

Thanks!
Thanks for the order! Unfortunately I don't stock that part or I would go measure it for you! As far as the strength goes, I haven't installed one myself so I can't speak to it. I know a coworker had a slight wobble and found that his factory steering components were flexing when he stuck a go-pro under his rig. I would hope that this piece is a stiffer and a good replacement for you, but if you don't like the looks of it before you install it just let me know and I'll take it back free of charge and get you into something else.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Ryan. I guess I am pretty close to the warehouse because it shipped yesterday and it arrived to me in Maine today! I'll be installing it tonight and will get a write up posted shortly after.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the new crown one installed, it's basically identical to the mopar rod and ends in every way. There are very subtle differences, but I'd say most people wouldnt be able to tell a difference.

There is a huge difference in quality compared to the Ruff Stuff kit. The Ruff Stuff rod weighs quite a bit more, and the GM 1-ton TRE's just feel so much more substantial. The mopar and crown ends feel very plasticy and cheap.

The crown adjustment sleeve and end had a tough time threading together to the TRE as well, just a PITA but was fine.

IMO - there's no reason to spend twice as much on the mopar kit. If you get the wheels that will clear the GM 1-ton TRE's I'd definitely recommend the Ruff Stuff kit as an upgrade.

I took some photos for comparison. The Crown kit also came with a factory style stabilizer clamp - I replaced it with my synergy clamp designed for the factory bar. It fit fine.

Quick Reply: Crown Automotive Tie Rod Kit - Quality?