Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Crooked Sway Bar.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked Sway Bar.

Last night I attempted to put on my lift kit but after mounting the first spacer I couldn't get the lower control arm back in(needed more muscle). So I went ahead and took the spacer out and put everything back to stock for now.

After everything was put back I noticed that the sway bar was a little crooked. My left side one is basically vertical but the right side is off a couple of degrees. This is the front sway bay links.

Any idea why it's off?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Originally Posted by codename607
Last night I attempted to put on my lift kit but after mounting the first spacer I couldn't get the lower control arm back in(needed more muscle). So I went ahead and took the spacer out and put everything back to stock for now.

After everything was put back I noticed that the sway bar was a little crooked. My left side one is basically vertical but the right side is off a couple of degrees. This is the front sway bay links.

Any idea why it's off?
Without pics it hard to tell but did you possibly put one end of the crooked link on the wrong side of the bracket at the axle, this is pretty easy to do when the axle is fully drooped out because its shifted to drivers side and makes it seam like when you are putting it on the correct side thats wrong, but once you get the JK back on the ground and the axle recenters its correct. I've dont it...

Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any idea why it's off?

I know that when I take off my quick disconnects and then put them back on, they are side specific. They are set to different lengths to fit properly. Does that make sense?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

can u post up some pics

Last edited by Cdyspeed; 07-29-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

It is normal to have the height vary for each side of the sway bar. That is why the good ones like JKS are adjustable.

If not, it can be a pain in the ass to get the pin back in.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeep2007
It is normal to have the height vary for each side of the sway bar. That is why the good ones like JKS are adjustable.

If not, it can be a pain in the ass to get the pin back in.
Learn something new lol. Mines not to big of a pain just gotta find some flat ground
Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

I think he is talking about the swaybar links being crooked as in not straight up and down as opposed to one swaybar link longer than the other.

Check to make sure they are installed on both sides:

Upper ball joint mount on tire side of swaybar

Lower rubber mount on inside (opposite of tire side) of the lower axle mount tab

EVO

Last edited by Andrew@EVOMFG; 07-29-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by Andrew@EVOMFG
Without pics it hard to tell but did you possibly put one end of the crooked link on the wrong side of the bracket at the axle, this is pretty easy to do when the axle is fully drooped out because its shifted to drivers side and makes it seam like when you are putting it on the correct side thats wrong, but once you get the JK back on the ground and the axle recenters its correct. I've dont it...

Just a thought.

This is exactly whats wrong. Thanks Andrew. i don't know what I would do without you guys.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Last night I attempted to put on my lift kit but after mounting the first spacer I couldn't get the lower control arm back in(needed more muscle). So I went ahead and took the spacer out and put everything back to stock for now. ...
I used a large cargo strap around the axle and transmission mount crossmember to winch the axle back into place to connect the LCA. I don't think a slightly bent sway bar link would prevent you from installing your lift (though I'd be inclined to replace it in the near future with something better suited to the lift height). I also would not reconnect any of the control arms until all of the spacers are installed--gives you more room to move the axle around as needed to remove and install springs and spacers and such.

Quick Reply: Crooked Sway Bar.