Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cromolly front axles can break.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
That is a great picture... Sorry, not that what happened to you is great. Just that a picture is worth a 1000 words. Imagine if that shaft was so elastic that it could bend that much and return back to its normal position. How much stress would be constantly applied to the splines on the hub. You would be constantly damaging the hub, if your outer shaft was too elastic. Hence my point on not wanting a nipple on the short shaft.

Sorry, I get all geeky when talking about engineering. Can't help myself... did it for a living.
That pic was of the end that goes into the carrier.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
That is a great picture... Sorry, not that what happened to you is great. Just that a picture is worth a 1000 words. Imagine if that shaft was so elastic that it could bend that much and return back to its normal position. How much stress would be constantly applied to the splines on the hub. You would be constantly damaging the hub, if your outer shaft was too elastic. Hence my point on not wanting a nipple on the short shaft.

Sorry, I get all geeky when talking about engineering. Can't help myself... did it for a living.
So am I to assume a nipple would be desirable on the long shaft or on the rear axles.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
So am I to assume a nipple would be desirable on the long shaft or on the rear axles.
The reason for the greater flex is because the inner shaft is longer. Therefore it will twist more. You want that flex, it absorbs the sudden stop. If there was no flex, then the axle would break right away. Give is an important to all moving parts.

Just to expand a little... best example is rock climbing. Let say you fell and dropped 20 feet. Your force is now1200 foot lbs when the rope pulls tight. If the rope could not stretch (static) and could only hold 800 ft lbs of force, it would snap. Take that same fall, but this time use a dynamic rope (stretches) and can absorb 800 ft lbs a foot and stretches 2 feet, the total load it can handle would be 1,600 ft lbs. The rope doesn't break and you live.

Same holds true to that axle, it that axle can absorb 4k ft lbs per inch of twist, then the more it can twist (and still return to its original state), the more force it can handle.

hope that helps

Quick Reply: Cromolly front axles can break.