Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Critique my lift kit plan?

Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I don't think the full "lift" height is there. Parked next to a stock jeep, my front end looks leveled but it's not solidly higher as anticipated. It's roughly the equivalent of the 2.5" stock mod. I've done 2 installs of 3.5" x factor's and a 2.5" whatever kit is just above the stock mod. The 3.5" kits looked great off the line but again, they don't seem to stay- and these jeeps have no weight- no bumpers, no hard tops, nada. Have you thoroughly wheeled the rk kits? I'm thinking maybe exercising the coils may be part of it. RK did offer to allow me to purchase 3.5" coils to put on so they've done their part.
I agree with this 100%. I've had problems from as long as I can remember with the front end being way lower than the rear and the entire height not being there. I always experienced passenger side sag which I thought was the rear coils but when I switched the lean was still there. I guess the coils can't stand the weight of an empty gas tank... Lol either way, Coming from worn out stock coils and spacers to RK coils and arms and such, I've never had that "wow" factor. Ride quality was always "eh" to me. Now that I've put slot of miles on it the ride has definitely diminished imo. Prolly would happen with any manufacturer though so idk. I'm just not a fan boy.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
The bolt kit will be a waste of money.
Can you elaborate on that?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by casamtb
Assuming you're not buying a TF pre-made kit ( the bilsteins indicate as much) you may want to add a rear track bar bracket, and sway bar links. Get a limit strap kit. While your at it.
There actually is a TF kit that comes without shocks, so I'm getting that and adding the bilsteins. The kit comes with the bracket and links and bumpstops and all that jazz. I don't think it comes with limit straps. I'll look into those!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Teraflex has experienced sag through the years, in my experience.

It may be too early to know if Metalcloak is good but I'd check into Old Man Emu and see what they can offer. Rock krawler was the "go to" for a while (after the brainwashing of teraflex for so many years) but I'm not sure I buy the RK kool-aid either.....and I run their coils.

If you simply like the gapped look then why not go more simplistic with some chopped fender flares and a body lift? It'll be significantly cheaper and you can easily revert it back if it's too much gap with 33's. I've got 2.5" with cut flares and 33's......it's too much gap. Mine is cut for function so I don't tear a flare off.
I hate hate hate body lifts with a passion. That's out of the question. Maybe a small spaces for leveling purposes...otherwise...nope not for me lol. I don't mind dropping the cash on the upgraded parts, I'm budgeting about 2k for parts alone.

I will look into the old man emu for sure though! I have always heard good things about them. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a Rock Krawler Xfactor kit but with Metal Cloak 3.5 coils. I found that the RK coils had nothing for free length, sagged in the rear and just didn't offer a spring rate I was looking for. Metal cloaks ride amazing and you can maximize droop without unseating your springs.

I had Bilstein 5100s and thought they were too firm and faded too fast in the desert. I moved to Fox BDS tuned. And like them.

For control arms and track bars I don't think you can beat the price/quality of RK. You can always get a deal on it somewhere unlike MC. I haven't run TF in years but wouldn't pay a premium for their suspension components... Their tire carriers are another story though, very well built.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I run a Rock Krawler Xfactor kit but with Metal Cloak 3.5 coils. I found that the RK coils had nothing for free length, sagged in the rear and just didn't offer a spring rate I was looking for. Metal cloaks ride amazing and you can maximize droop without unseating your springs.

I had Bilstein 5100s and thought they were too firm and faded too fast in the desert. I moved to Fox BDS tuned. And like them.

For control arms and track bars I don't think you can beat the price/quality of RK. You can always get a deal on it somewhere unlike MC. I haven't run TF in years but wouldn't pay a premium for their suspension components... Their tire carriers are another story though, very well built.
I think rk has some pretty long free length. I have run 28.5 long shocks and coils don't unseat. I run 2.5" up front and 3.5" in back. I did have a set of rear coils sag but rk replaced them. I'm running pretty heavy and with this combo have an actual 3" front and rear. Lots of loaded off road trips including several moab trips,rubicon trail trip and leaving tomorrow for the granddaddy of them all the dusy ershim.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by fido58
YES I've done a forum search

I just want some personal reassurance before i drop upwards of 2K I guess! Please let me know if i've goofed and poste din the wrong forum, I read the rules and this seemed the appropriate one.

2009 JK 2 door manual.

Plans:

3" Teraflex Lift kit w/springs
4 TF control arms front lower/rear upper
TF Monster Forged Adj Trackbar
TF Steering Stabilizer
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Grade 8 bolt kit

I realize a front drive shaft will probably be needed, but I'm going to wait until I actually need it, I know the amount of time that people get out of the DS varies greatly but I'll take my chances with that.

Brake lines - planning on just doing them while we're under there, I believe the brake lines I have are original (i just got the jeep a couple months ago.) I've been looking at Crown for 3-6 inches of lift, general consensus seems to be they're a quality brake line. Yes, no?

Is this acceptable to start with? Anything i'm missing/horribly overlooking? Is the ride going to suck horribly?
Thanks yall!
That is a solid plan. Your ride should be firm but not in a bad way.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I am not a fan of Teraflex but if that is what you think you need it is your jeep. Personally I think you are running too much lift and flat fenders and some leveling pucks will give you the lift look, tire clearance, and better ride and handling with fewer components.
I would not waste the money on the steering stabilizer either even if you go with everything else you have listed.

You also don't lift any goals or limitations you feel you have in terms of lifting. It looks to me you are just lifting for the sake of lifting?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fido58
Can you elaborate on that?
I've read builds from guys that have 25 grand in extras on their jeeps and they all say to save your money. If you want to get grade 8 I would probably go to your local hardware store and get them cheaper.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Use them in your front track bar locations.

Quick Reply: Critique my lift kit plan?