Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Critique my lift kit plan?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Critique my lift kit plan?

YES I've done a forum search

I just want some personal reassurance before i drop upwards of 2K I guess! Please let me know if i've goofed and poste din the wrong forum, I read the rules and this seemed the appropriate one.

2009 JK 2 door manual.

Plans:

3" Teraflex Lift kit w/springs
4 TF control arms front lower/rear upper
TF Monster Forged Adj Trackbar
TF Steering Stabilizer
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Grade 8 bolt kit

I realize a front drive shaft will probably be needed, but I'm going to wait until I actually need it, I know the amount of time that people get out of the DS varies greatly but I'll take my chances with that.

Brake lines - planning on just doing them while we're under there, I believe the brake lines I have are original (i just got the jeep a couple months ago.) I've been looking at Crown for 3-6 inches of lift, general consensus seems to be they're a quality brake line. Yes, no?

Is this acceptable to start with? Anything i'm missing/horribly overlooking? Is the ride going to suck horribly?
Thanks yall!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

How did you 'settle' on Teraflex? More searching needs to be done.

And you're looking at 3" for which size tire- that'll be a question that will be posed shortly.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response! I'm currently running 33's and will stay on 33's until I need new tires, at which point I may go up to 35's.

I did a lot of searching across various forums for a couple of weeks, and out of all my research TF was the one that seemed to be the most universally accepted as a high quality lift kit that didn't have any major issues. I was initially looking at Rancho because that is what my local Jeep shop (Jeepers Den) recommended, but between the two, people seemed to have issues with rancho over time. TF also fits within my budget. Are you not a fan of TF?

I also wanted to go as high as I could clearance wise (I like the look), without having to immediately buy new driveshafts or all 8 control arms.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

I think you have a pretty good start. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Teraflex has experienced sag through the years, in my experience.

It may be too early to know if Metalcloak is good but I'd check into Old Man Emu and see what they can offer. Rock krawler was the "go to" for a while (after the brainwashing of teraflex for so many years) but I'm not sure I buy the RK kool-aid either.....and I run their coils.

If you simply like the gapped look then why not go more simplistic with some chopped fender flares and a body lift? It'll be significantly cheaper and you can easily revert it back if it's too much gap with 33's. I've got 2.5" with cut flares and 33's......it's too much gap. Mine is cut for function so I don't tear a flare off.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Teraflex has experienced sag through the years, in my experience. It may be too early to know if Metalcloak is good but I'd check into Old Man Emu and see what they can offer. Rock krawler was the "go to" for a while (after the brainwashing of teraflex for so many years) but I'm not sure I buy the RK kool-aid either.....and I run their coils. If you simply like the gapped look then why not go more simplistic with some chopped fender flares and a body lift? It'll be significantly cheaper and you can easily revert it back if it's too much gap with 33's. I've got 2.5" with cut flares and 33's......it's too much gap. Mine is cut for function so I don't tear a flare off.
Just curious, are you not happy with your RK lift? Any issues? I'm on my 3rd kit, Max Travel 2.5, and I love it.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I don't think the full "lift" height is there. Parked next to a stock jeep, my front end looks leveled but it's not solidly higher as anticipated. It's roughly the equivalent of the 2.5" stock mod. I've done 2 installs of 3.5" x factor's and a 2.5" whatever kit is just above the stock mod. The 3.5" kits looked great off the line but again, they don't seem to stay- and these jeeps have no weight- no bumpers, no hard tops, nada.

Have you thoroughly wheeled the rk kits? I'm thinking maybe exercising the coils may be part of it. RK did offer to allow me to purchase 3.5" coils to put on so they've done their part.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Assuming you're not buying a TF pre-made kit ( the bilsteins indicate as much) you may want to add a rear track bar bracket, and sway bar links. Get a limit strap kit. While your at it.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The bolt kit will be a waste of money.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I don't think the full "lift" height is there. Parked next to a stock jeep, my front end looks leveled but it's not solidly higher as anticipated. It's roughly the equivalent of the 2.5" stock mod. I've done 2 installs of 3.5" x factor's and a 2.5" whatever kit is just above the stock mod. The 3.5" kits looked great off the line but again, they don't seem to stay- and these jeeps have no weight- no bumpers, no hard tops, nada. Have you thoroughly wheeled the rk kits? I'm thinking maybe exercising the coils may be part of it. RK did offer to allow me to purchase 3.5" coils to put on so they've done their part.
I've definitely noticed that there is a dramatic settling. This most recent 2.5 kit (all levels use same coils) netted me 4 full inches first few weeks but has settled after a few months to 3". My current rig has stock bumpers and soft top so pretty light. I anticipate landing right at 2.5" once my bumpers, winch and hard top are on and I'm good with that. Have wheeled a 2.5 stock mod kit on my last jk pretty hard and had the same experience. As long it stays 2.5" or better fully loaded down I'm happy. I also really love their progressive rate coils and find the ride super smooth with my bilsteins.

Quick Reply: Critique my lift kit plan?