Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Creaking from Passenger Side

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Creaking from Passenger Side

***Update - Creaking was the rockrails ***

About a week ago, I noticed a creaking sound coming from what sounds like the passenger side front wheel well when starting from a stop unless I really baby it. If I get on it hard, I can get it to creak when giving it gas after shifting to second.

I have the TF 2.5" lift with springs, shocks, LCAs, TF trackbar, and a new steering stabalizer. I have had all that on for a couple thousand miles and this sound just started. I greased all the fittings last night and checked all teh bolts and nothing seemed loose.

I did, however, install some smitybilt rock rails about 2 weeks ago. Could these be making noise? Any tips on locating the noise? when I tried pushing and pulling on things, I couldnt get any noise to replicate. I tried jacking up the front end thinking maybe that when the front end lifts a bit under acceleration, something was moving a bit (a spring or something).

I'm new to the whole diagnosing thing so any tips would be great.

Last edited by pettym; 10-27-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Updated Thread
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

have some one ride with you and have them see if they can isolate where the sound is coming from. I had a squeak that I swore was coming from the wheel. But after I had the wife ride with me she pointed farther back away from the tire. I figured out the jam nut wasn't tight on the adjustable control arm and was squeaking as it rotated.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had a noise coming from the front passenger side tire. well i thought, but it was the upper control arm needed some tlc

Last edited by patrol65; 09-21-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

does it sound like styrofoam squeeking? Could be your factory gas tank "skid". certain days my sounds like a foam cooler and squeeks with braking and acceleration
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pettym
About a week ago, I noticed a creaking sound coming from what sounds like the passenger side front wheel well when starting from a stop unless I really baby it. If I get on it hard, I can get it to creak when giving it gas after shifting to second.

I have the TF 2.5" lift with springs, shocks, LCAs, TF trackbar, and a new steering stabalizer. I have had all that on for a couple thousand miles and this sound just started. I greased all the fittings last night and checked all teh bolts and nothing seemed loose.

I did, however, install some smitybilt rock rails about 2 weeks ago. Could these be making noise? Any tips on locating the noise? when I tried pushing and pulling on things, I couldnt get any noise to replicate. I tried jacking up the front end thinking maybe that when the front end lifts a bit under acceleration, something was moving a bit (a spring or something).

I'm new to the whole diagnosing thing so any tips would be great.

I have a RC 3" springs on my 2010 4-door that I installed 6 months ago. about 2 months ago I noticed the same thing. Gave the front end a once-over and found nothing suspicious or bent. I checked the torque on everything. Drove around for an hour making it sqeak and pinpointed it to the passenger front suspension. Went home and checked the spring and found it had turned, and the end of the last coil had fallen off of the landing (or whatever its called). This caused the spring to bow to one side and rub against the tower every time I took off or hit a bump. I jacked the jeep up to unload the spring and simple turned it till it was properly seated. No problems since.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was wondering about it being the spring, I will check where it is seated whenI get home tonight. If that's not it, I will be onto checking the gas skid.

I did check my jam nuts and the drivers side was loose so I tightened that but the sound is still here. Seems to be getting louder as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Well,

I finally got around to pulling the rock rails off and, would ya guess? the sound is gone. Does anyone else have the smittybilt XRC 2dr rockrails? If so, have you had this noise? Were you able to get rid of it?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

So all you guys have a "creaking sound" from the passengers side? I have a creak coming from the drivers side and it sounds like it is the door or something on the a-pillar (think thats what its called). It definitely sounds inside the jeep but cant find any cause. I have checked and tightened every bolt I could. The times I notice it most is going up a very subtle incline, like going into the driveway... Sounds like something is "flexing" or something. Sounds are so hard to describe!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

I just installed the XRC rock rails on my four door and get a rattling sound sometimes when going over bumps. I had the squeak at first and realized the rear corners were rubbing against my rear LCA bolts. I cut a little off of the corners and the squeak is gone but still get a rattle. I think it's because the rails don't have a bolt in the back section to hold it tightly against the body. Thinking about drilling a hole and putting another bolt to snug it up.

Quick Reply: Creaking from Passenger Side