Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CRD, gears and 35" tyres

Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRD, gears and 35" tyres

I hope some drivers of CRD JK's will see this and help me make a decision

I have a CRD Auto Sahara Unlimited which I want to lift (OME) and fit 35's.

At the same time I will fit a pair of Rubicon axles with 4.1 ratios.

Has anyone got a CRD with that set-up and how does it drive? I am thinking it will be a little over-geared, but the strong low-end torque of the CRD will compensate, or should I go for 5.13's at the risk of under-gearing it too much? All the action with the CRD happens between two and three thousand revs, unlike the 3.8L V6.

I'll also be fitting a rubicon transfer box to compensate when off-road so really it's just on road driving that I'm worried about.

I want to get it right first time as all the bits will need to be imported including the tyres as we can only easily get 15" and 16" rubber over here.

Thanks for any advice.

Giles
Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Giles,

I have the auto crd with 4,10s and 33". I think with bigger tires like 35s you should regear, maybe 4,56 or 4,88, if available. The fifth gear of the auto is 0,67:1 - that´s much "longer" than the manual in 6th. I can use the 5th only at highway speed. At 110 kph I get 2.ooo revs.

And: ratio is not all, you will also have to get the bigger masses in rotation.

Quick Reply: CRD, gears and 35" tyres