Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Crappy Wheel Spacers

Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Wheel Spacers

When I went from my 33's to 35's 4 Wheel Parts in Santa Rosa (John), told me that I would need to put wheel spacers on to clear the control arms or purchase new wheels. Well I did not have the extra $$ to buy new wheels and I kinda like the ones that are on the Jeep now. He just happened to have a set that he had put on another persons jeep and they did not like the looks there in his office so I said I guess if it needs it just do it. I asked him if they were the Teraflex ones and he said "no, but a piece of billet aluminum is a piece of billet aluminum". So I figured that he would know what he is talking about. Well 3,000 miles later it was time for my oil change. Took it to the local dealership and asked them to rotate the tires also. Well in the process of taking the lug nuts off one of the spacer wheel studs broke.. shoot.... Well I figured it just must have been over tightened when they were installed. I called Johh and he says there is nothing he can do because there is no warranty on spacers so I have to buy another one. Done..... They did install it for free for me. That was back in April. Last month I put new rear brake shoes on myself(I used to be a tech). Reinstalled everything and retorqued the wheel lugs down to 110 lbs. Driving today to Napa i started to hear a rotational type chirping noise. I pull into dealership and one of the techs i know listened too it and said it was coming from right rear wheel area. I get out and look and low and behold a spacer stud on right rear wheel was broken, not shoot this time, but shit!!. So I drive home. I get home and figured I would check to see if the other lugs where still tight, I put socket on lug and first one I check breaks off without even pushing on breaker bar. SHIT!!!! So I got to checking. It seems that the studs coming off of the spacers they sold me are 7/16" compared to the 1/2" studs that are factory. Sounds to me like they sold me the wrong spacers. I am waiting for John to get back from vacation to see what he wants to do. I did go out and buy 20 new 1/2" studs that I will be putting in in place of the 7/16" ones that are on the spacers. Cost of $55.00. Point of this story if you are going to put spacers on make sure you go with a quality brand like Teraflex. Would have sucked to have tire go flying off at 60 mph. Attatched a couple pictures so you can see the differance in the studs.

Last edited by FireRescue707; 06-05-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spidertrax or bust
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

spidertrax or bust
Couldnt agree more. We sell more spidertrax than anybody and have zero problems.

Zero.

David
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
spidertrax or bust
Also a good quality brand. I did not have much of a choice at the time. I had already waited almost 2 weeks for the tires and I did not feel like waiting another week for spacers. (hind sight though is 20/20)
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Couldnt agree more. We sell more spidertrax than anybody and have zero problems.

Zero.

David
David, What size are the studs on the Spidertrax if I might ask?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

At least you found it before something serious happened. I got Spidertrax from Northridge4x4.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nearly 5000 miles on my spidertrax.......zero issues.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The spidertrax are 1/2" on the studs.

David
Old 06-05-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
The spidertrax are 1/2" on the studs.

David
Thanks David.