Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cragar soft 8 - 16 inch DONT fit ..

Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which part of the wheel are you guys close to? If its the center section of the wheel then changing the offset will do nothing as the hub portion to the center section will stay the same from wheel to wheel. All changing the offset does is move the hoop in and out in relation to the center. The mounting surface to the center stays the same. A spacer would move the center and mounting surface out from the brake caliper so if you guys are close to the center, ordering a wheel with an inch or so less backspace and then add the inch back with a spacer would give you an inch more clearance between the caliper and the center part of the wheel. Make sense? If your caliper clears fine and all you are trying to do is move the wheel out then sure it makes sense to just change the offset as you eliminate the spacer in the equasion.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luisjg
guys be carefull when ordering cragar soft 8 steel wheels,,,16 inch
with 5 INCK BACKSPACE,,i had ordered 4.5 backspace and recieved 5 in.
went ahead and installed them,,looked preety good and everything but Someone else just told me that the front brake pad brackets will contact the wheel, so i went and checked and indeed the brackets are preety much in contact with the wheel, and may cause a problem later,,
so there is 2 options,,,grinding on the bracket just a tad. or replacing wheels.

good thing is I can return this wheels localy but they look great,and like the way they stick out,, so i dont know if it will be wise to grind a bit on the braket,, warranty speeking

luis
I am running the 16 x 8's with 5" bs, have not had any rubbing or problems, 5k on em now. running 35s with em.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gasser
Which part of the wheel are you guys close to? If its the center section of the wheel then changing the offset will do nothing as the hub portion to the center section will stay the same from wheel to wheel. All changing the offset does is move the hoop in and out in relation to the center. The mounting surface to the center stays the same. A spacer would move the center and mounting surface out from the brake caliper so if you guys are close to the center, ordering a wheel with an inch or so less backspace and then add the inch back with a spacer would give you an inch more clearance between the caliper and the center part of the wheel. Make sense? If your caliper clears fine and all you are trying to do is move the wheel out then sure it makes sense to just change the offset as you eliminate the spacer in the equasion.

yes its the center part
Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by luisjg
guys be carefull when ordering cragar soft 8 steel wheels,,,16 inch
with 5 INCK BACKSPACE,,i had ordered 4.5 backspace and recieved 5 in.
went ahead and installed them,,looked preety good and everything but Someone else just told me that the front brake pad brackets will contact the wheel, so i went and checked and indeed the brackets are preety much in contact with the wheel, and may cause a problem later,,
so there is 2 options,,,grinding on the bracket just a tad. or replacing wheels.

good thing is I can return this wheels localy but they look great,and like the way they stick out,, so i dont know if it will be wise to grind a bit on the braket,, warranty speeking

luis
I have the cragar soft 8's with 5" backspacing and they fit fine. No contact with anything.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepfreek13
I am running the 16 x 8's with 5" bs, have not had any rubbing or problems, 5k on em now. running 35s with em.
Same here! No problems at all. So whomever told the person starting this thread is obviously incorrect.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Hey All.
I'm the one who posted a reply to luisjg about the Cragar rims. Let me start by saying I am glad to hear that so many people are using the Soft 8s with no problems. I really like these wheels and it would bum me out thinking that many others were having this issue. I'll recap - I have an Unlimited X, auto, soft top built in mid November. I purchased a set of Cragar Soft 8s in December, 16 x 8, 5 x 5, 5 inches BS, but didn't mount them till February. Tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75/16. I test fit a rim to one of the back hubs (should have test fit to the front), and took them into a shop for mounting. When we put a front wheel on we noticed right away that there was contact between the back surface of the wheel (about an inch and a quarter out from the mounting surface) and the brake shoe. This was nothing that a quarter inch spacer couldn't fix, so I didn't think much of it. I drove off happy with my wheels and tires until several blocks later, I drove over 40 mph. At 40 I noticed a definite shimmy in the front end, it actually moved the steering wheel back and forth. I was certain that the shop had botched the wheel balance or I had an out of round tire, so back to the shop the next day. Long story short, after three different shops, multiple high speed balancings, multiple tire rotations, and various theories, I wasn't any closer to figuring out what was wrong. I had also started checking my lug nuts after losing one on a trail. I found that the front lug nuts were backing off after about one hundred miles. That was kind of the last straw and I lost all patience with talk of spacers or adapters. In my mind this became a safety issue and I just didn't want to deal with it any more. I ordered a set of rims that I felt confident would work, had them installed and have not had any problems whatsoever. I don't know why I had issues with these rims, nor am I saying that one shouldn't buy them. I'm just saying that when buying generic fit rims make sure to test fit them to a front hub before mounting. The whole thing was totally my fault for not checking more thoroughly. That said, I'm getting married in about a week and a half and will be traveling for a bit after that, but when I get back I'll probably post 5 rims for sale... Sorry for the long post, be safe, and enjoy!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bleblanc
Same here! No problems at all. So whomever told the person starting this thread is obviously incorrect.
well its not incorrect the space is so minimal that im sure it will touch on other jeeps outthere ,,,and preventive meassures should be taken,,, because wheel can woble in the event of loosing balancing lead. then they will hit

I think is a valid post worth checking ,,im glad I did and droping a washer in there.

Last edited by luisjg; 05-08-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I have 15x8s with 4.5" of backspace and have the exact same issue. I have about 1/32" clearance. That's all you need, but boy is it close.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I have 15x8s with 4.5" of backspace and have the exact same issue. I have about 1/32" clearance. That's all you need, but boy is it close.
BINGO!! thats what I wanted to know.

so its the same on 4.5
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes, the problem is in the wheel design... if you look at wheel from the underneigth your jeep you will see a lip, its that lip that is cutting it close. Since the wheel is fixed on the axle, you don't need any more clearance. I have heard some comments about heat dissipation. No worries there, take a look at how tight the tollerances are on a semi. And those bad boys generate a great deal of heat!

Quick Reply: cragar soft 8 - 16 inch DONT fit ..