Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cracked Header

Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the cracked header make a sound like the gasket is blown or does it make kind of a raspy sound when on the gas. We have been trying to find what the noise is on mine but can't seem to figure it out? Does anyone have a picture of where the headers seem to be cracking? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dutchboy101
Questions for you guys with the lifetime warranty and having a heavy modified rig. Would they not warranty the cracked header if you have 37" tires 4+" lift?
I'm afraid that they would blame the tires and lift on this breakage. Not ure if they can even be blamed for it.
My Jeep has about 36500 miles on it, and two days ago I noticed that my driver's side header is cracked. My gas milage went in the dumper to single digits now. :(
I've got 35s and. 4.5" AEV lift, they didn't even mention the lift when they warranted mine
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colegrove03
Does the cracked header make a sound like the gasket is blown or does it make kind of a raspy sound when on the gas. We have been trying to find what the noise is on mine but can't seem to figure it out? Does anyone have a picture of where the headers seem to be cracking? Thanks in advance!
Thats what ours sounded like, donut gasket leaking or similar sound. And the cat flange area was glowing after it ran a while
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

The sound is much more noticeable when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, it's harder to hear because the heat causes the metal to expand and almost seal the crack.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BStelling

I went to the Chrysler/Dodge Lithia dealer here in Missoula and as I presumed it was a circus. I went to the parts manager and he told me to go over to over to service which for some reason said I needed to go talk to a sales manager who got mad because he wasn't sure why I was sent to talk to him so I just left that shit show and bailed. Anyways they want roughly $400 to fix it.
I'd say those jokers played their (probably well rehearsed) parts perfectly and got the response from you that they wanted.

Chances are good the manifold is covered under the drivetrain warranty, but if you let them get away with the shit show, you have no chance to get the coverage.

Seems like the details of your warranty would be spelled out somewhere like on Mopar's Web site or in your owner's manual
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dutchboy101
Questions for you guys with the lifetime warranty and having a heavy modified rig. Would they not warranty the cracked header if you have 37" tires 4+" lift?
I'm afraid that they would blame the tires and lift on this breakage. Not ure if they can even be blamed for it.
My Jeep has about 36500 miles on it, and two days ago I noticed that my driver's side header is cracked. My gas milage went in the dumper to single digits now. :(
They can't void the warranty on the exhaust manifold because the Jeep is lifted. The lift has nothing to do with the manifold failing. Now if the Jeep had a powertrian failure that could be traced back to the larger tires being the cause of the failure, then yes they could void the powertrain warranty.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmuddy

They can't void the warranty on the exhaust manifold because the Jeep is lifted. The lift has nothing to do with the manifold failing. Now if the Jeep had a powertrian failure that could be traced back to the larger tires being the cause of the failure, then yes they could void the powertrain warranty.
Tell Eddie, Wayoflife that. I'm pretty sure they did that exact thing to him with Nemo. Denied warranty on a leaking manifold, charged him for the replacement, filed a complaint against the dealer, and subsequently had his entire warranty voided.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by highoctane
Tell Eddie, Wayoflife that. I'm pretty sure they did that exact thing to him with Nemo. Denied warranty on a leaking manifold, charged him for the replacement, filed a complaint against the dealer, and subsequently had his entire warranty voided.
Have him research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
On getting any kind of headers, always get them third party coated. OEM coatings generally suck no matter who the company is. My preference is for Black Satin although my local powder coater is recommending a two stage approach using Black Satin, followed by Cermakrome for inhibiting rust on steel headers. Both of these coatings provide a thermal barrier keeping the heat inside the exhaust and out of the engine bay. The result is better exhaust velocity and cooler air through the intake. It also will keep your plug wires safe.

BTW, no way I would pay to have a stock manifold replaced and I would definitely run with headers.
What about using header wrap? I have no experience with it, but was considering going that route...any drawbacks to using header wrap?

Quick Reply: Cracked Header